Monette "W" series horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rms573, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Thanks guys,

I realize this can be a touchy subject so I appreciate your collective attitude. Please know that my comments are always from the heart and mindful that horn choice can be a deeply personal thing for some, a financial consideration for others... what have you.

Your attitude is what makes TM a cool place to check in with the trumpet world outside the Land O' Lakes.

Now... I have news about next season.

ML

2. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I too would love to try a Monette (not that I'd be able to afford one for a while to come, if ever!), unfortunately, the only place I've ever seen one has been in Wynton's hands at the various gigs I've seen him do here.

According to the Monette site, I have a stockist very near me (the only UK dealer I think), and when I asked them, they only had a limited collection of mouthpieces (not even the B2 which I was interested in), and no trumpets at all.

What's the news Manny?

3. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    Guys i went to Portland ack in the first of january and even though i am still in high school and i dont play like wynton or schlueter or any of the greats that play monette Tom and Dave treated me like i was as good as them, they spent hours working with me to get me on the right mouthpiece and i ordered a 993 before i left, any of you who are looking for an absolutly amazing horn made by people who are just as good i would definitly make a trip to Portland and check Dave's stuff out, it is revolutionary.

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Hey Manny...

It sure is true about Dave always having something better up his sleeve. Just the other day, they told me that my Prana 1 C would be delayed a few weeks, but that it was good news, since Dave just tweaked something that made the horns even better! Good timing, I guess!

His dedication to his craft is, to me, truly amazing. I don't think anything as ever been just "good enough" in that shop. You've got to respect that!

Also, cmcdougall is right on about the quality of the shop visits. I enjoyed every minute I spent there and they all treated my friend and I just like the big guys! I just went in with an open mind (I wasn't even planning on ordering a horn) and it was a great experiance.

Jason.

5. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    You guys are probably right on Dave's dedication. But I've visited a few custombuilders myself (Thein, Schagerl, van Laar etc.) and they all have the same attitude. They're all working very hard, and every time I visit them they come up with something better. That's part of their work.

I played a B993 for half a year, and it was a great horn. But there are a lot of great horns out there. Just a little less expensive.

Just to put it in perspective...

6. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I didn't mean to imply that other builders weren't as dedicated as the Monette folks. Its just that they are the only ones I've had any direct contact with. Whenever I've played other horns build by small, custom shop type builders (Reeves, Wayne Tanabe, Yamaha/Malone, etc...) I've always been impressed with the workmanship and quality of the intruments. Even though I prefer to play other instruments that work better for me, lots of people are out there making great trumpets and always trying to improve them. That's good news for all of us!

7. blutch

blutch Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Patrick,

I just bought a 2000LT Bb about 2 months ago. Its an amazing horn. Incredibly versatile. I'm primarily and orchestral/quintet/solo player, but I wanted a Bb that I could also play in commercial settings. With a mouthpiece change it works fantastically in jazz, gospel, rock and roll and other commercial venues. It speaks very quickly and is a joy to play.

Until I got this horn I tried to play as much as i could on C trumpet, but now that I have this great Bb, I can be more discerning in that decision.

I think its the most versatile model in the Monette line. IT also plays well with others if you know what I mean. I highly recommend them.. they are VERY difficult to find used because people just don't get rid of them.

MA

8. DCB

DCB Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2004
    N. Florida
    What about the older Chicago Monette's? How do they play?
    Also, when you send your Monette horn in for an adjustment does it cost?

9. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    If you are the original owner of the horn there is no cost, i couldn't say about the Chicago Monettes though.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm not sure if I'm at a point as a player where I would actually benefit from playing a Monette, but I can say that if my financial status was different, I probably wouldn't think twice about paying that kind of money for a horn of that caliber.

Manny, you really put things into perspective when you talked about the cost of the instruments that some of the strings players play. We as trumpeters are pretty spoiled in that regard and to be honest, I'm not sure of any wind instruments that on average cost less than trumpets when it comes to "pro" level instruments. Just take a gander at what decent double reeded instruments cost!

I guess I just don't know what is "good" enough for me and what I do. Certainly, if I was in the position where I made my living playing and I was the principle of a major orchestra, I would make sure that I was playing an instrument that did not hinder me in any way - but as a part time party band player...as much as a finer instrument would probably help, the end result would be no different. The clients usually get drunk and dance, and they probably pay very little attention to what the horns are doing so if I'm hacking it on a Bach, or nailing it on a Monette and getting paid the same either way, does it really matter?

Manny, you brought up another very good point about blending. I have read comment after comment on the trumpet forums that talk about Monettes not blending well with other "instruments" and that was always in reference to the other trumpets in the trumpet section. Typical arrogant trumpeter statement. It makes total sense that the real blend that we should all be striving for is not necessarily with the rest of our section, but rather with the rest of the ensemble be it an orchestra, big band, brass band or whatever.

Again, thanks for the comments.