Monettes and Chicago Symphony

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by BudBix, Oct 24, 2005.

1. BudBix

BudBix Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I believe that the CSO used Monette C trumpets for a time in the late 80's/early 90's. Anyone know the actual years? It would be interesting to hear some recordings from that time period.

2. Johntpt

Johntpt Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Toluca, Mexico
    Here's a couple to start with:

Pictures/Poem of Ecstacy with Neeme Jarvi conducting from 1989

Mahler 5 with Solti conducting - the later one recorded live on tour in Vienna in 1990

Whatever you might say about Monettes, Bud sounds great on these recordings. I once asked him about the Jarvi CD. He said that those 2 pieces were on 5 concerts that weekend, and that one of the pieces was recorded on Friday morning before a concert, and the other on Monday morning before a concert, and that he did it all without an assistant. Pretty amazing!

He was also using his Monette on the Boehme Sextet recorded with the Asbury Brass around that time.

Also, Bud was the only member of the section who used a Monette. The others were playing Bachs.

JU

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Hey, I have that Mahler recording! I'll have to give that another listen. I also have their Mahler 1, with Solti as well. Was Bud using a Monette on that one as well?

4. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    There is a Laser Disk / VHS version of Pictures with Solti and the Chicago Symphony (1992) with Herseth, Scarlett, Vosburgh, and Kent. My Laser Disk player has been out of commission for years, but I seem to remember that he was playing the Monette in that recording (please someone correct me if I’m wrong).

This has been out of print for a long time, but well worth the effort to find a copy. Solti discusses the differences between the original Mussorgsky piano version of the piece and the Ravel orchestration. He will play a line at the piano and then the disk will segue into the orchestra rehearsal of the same section. After they go through each of the pictures in comparison / contrast in this fashion, then there is a complete performance of the piece. It’s a FANTASTIC disk and I wish that I had transferred it to VHS before my LD player conked out.

5. Johntpt

Johntpt Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Toluca, Mexico
    About that Mahler 1, that was recorded before Monette built his first trumpet, so Bud was using a Bach. The Mahler 5 with the Monette is not to be confused with the famous 1970 Solti CSO recording which has become a standard one in everyone's collection. This is also the one in the Solti Mahler box. The 1990 recording has a photo of Solti standing in a lake on the cover.

There used to be a videocassete of Solti-CSO performing Mahler 5 on tour in Japan, and Bud was using a Monette here as well. Unfortunately I've never seen this one on DVD.

JU

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I believe the years where 1984 to 1993 or 1994.

I heard Bud play Mahler 1 and Pines during those years live, He sounded amazing. I've understood people to say that he couldn't hear himself playing and that's why he stopped playing them. I don't know what the real story is.

I could hear him just fine and he was his usual kick-butt self. But you have to be happy playing and if he wasn't happy for whatever reason, then who could blame him for switching back?

ML

7. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I have the VHS videos of Pictures and Mahler 5 and Bud does indeed play the early Monette, with a Bach mouthpiece. I think that may be my favorite CSO Mahler 5 (and yes, I have the box set version). And the other is probably my favorite CSO Pictures (especially the promanade), although I havn't heard every single one of the others. I would be great if they would re-release them on DVD, but who knows.

I saw those and absolutely loved them long before I ever knew that that horn was a Monette. In fact, I didn't have the best opinion of Monette for a long time (I had heard a couple bad players play them) and realizing that's what he used on those videos sort of opened my mind to the possibility of the Monette being a great sounding instrument (yes, yes, the player makes the difference, not the horn...blah blah...I know, I know...but before I sort of though "Monette=bad sound" and after I thought, "Holy cow, that's one of the most glorious trumpet sounds I've ever heard!" And remember, that was before I knew it was a Monette...)

Anyway...enough from me...

8. sinfoniantrumpeter

sinfoniantrumpeter Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2005
    A former teacher of mine was in Mr. Monette's shop when Herseth called to tell him he wasn't going to use his C any longer.....pm for details as I can't post them here :grouphug:

9. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I have video of Mahler 1 with Tennstedt (sp?) that Mr. Herseth is using a Monette on. And heard the orchestra many times live during that time period. I think he went back to Bach around 1993.

10. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    You know, I can never really dig that album. I WANT to like, but every time I listen to it (I just did, to make sure I still feel this way) it just leaves me a little disappointed.

The promenade is a little too forceful, like instead of walking through the exhibition, Mussorgsky is stomping through it. In the Great Gate, it's not too loud, but it sound as if the players are all trying to play to loud. I think it gets a little too bright (in the not so good way) and Bud has just a little too much sizzle in his sound. I'm not trying to trash the CSO brass, I just think that there are MUCH better recordings (In my humble opinion).

My guess is that the mic placement was not ideally set up for Bud in the Poem of Extacy. He doesn't play too loud, but it sounds like he's trying to play too loud. For the exact opposite effect, see Gergiev recording with the Kirov Orchestra (an awesome disc that includes a monster version of the Rite of Spring).

Anybody out there feel the same way as me on this one?

-Jimi