Money

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jude, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    Ok, now that I have your attention: my nephew in middle-school plays sax, pretty well, I understand, at least well enough so he was given the new baritone sax the school got for band. But he dislikes the band director and is planning on dropping out next year. I gave him a sax stand for Christmas and a print-out from the web on starting a band in middle-school, hoping if he simply got together with some friends and they came up with a weird name for themselves he'd keep playing just because it was fun and cool.

At the moment his professional goal is to pitch for the Red Sox. After college, of course. Would it be fair to suggest to him at some point that he might be able to make more money playing with a band during college (his or somebody else's) than working at Burger King or filing papers in the Admin Building? At this point, I realize, any hint of practicality could kill this idea (except with his parents). I read that there are more and more trained musicians out there, and less and less call for live music, so maybe I should just forget it and see how the pitching works out? Or get him an electric guitar?

TIA for thoughts/info.

Jude

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I played in a rock band and a funk band while studying classical trumpet. I met some very interesting women, was introduced to some fun new illegal drugs, and got free booze!

3. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    I had similar experiences, but I don't remember them. :cool:

4. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    I say wait. If he is only in middle school, he has a little while before he has to be thinking about college and careers. While an argument could be made that it's never too early to start thinking about that stuff, I believe the kid should decide for himself. Which one does he like better, pitching or playing sax? Also, which one is he actually better at doing? You can't really tell for sure whether he will be good enough for either one right now (I'm not saying he's not, he may be the best kid pitcher you have ever seen and an awesome saxophonist, but you just can't tell). Who knows? He may change his mind next week and decide to be an astronaut. Kids that young can be unpredictable. As for the band director, I have one like that too. You just have to tell your nephew that the director is not the reason he is playing. He should be playing because he wants to play. If he has to, just try to ignore the director if at all possible. If he likes music well enough, he will find a way to get by. Hope this helped!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  5. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    Hey, I have enough problems with his parents as it is! (I'll file this away until he's out of middle school.) Does this generally apply to the community bands people keep suggesting, I wonder?

6. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007

Thanks for your comments. The kid likes pitching better than anything in the world, and he's good. But it looks like he's going to be awfully small for a major league pitcher. He likes the sax, but not well enough to endure a miserable band director (his sister, she of the flute, has already quit because of him). For now all I'm suggesting is playing with friends, hoping the desire to persevere will develop. Maybe I've just been reading about too many comeback players who wish they'd never quit as kids. The money angle I'd save for his parents, actually, since they encourage playing sports assuming it will help him get a scholarship. Apparently music could at least cut down on his entertainment expenses in college, once he gets there.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  7. tomialfa

tomialfa Pianissimo User

Nov 30, 2007
    San Diego
    Some professional ball players play instruments and have bands too. I say let the kid pitch. He can play the sax after he retires very young.

Tomi

8. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    If Manny Ramirez gets thrown out coming home because of that [expletive deleted] cap again he's apt to be playing the harp soon. Couldn't say about a band.

Jude

9. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    You are saxing up the wrong tree.

You need to write a letter and talk to the principal of the school where he will be playing the barisax. Then you send a letter to all the school board members and follow up with phone calls. But, first you must define the problem.

Why don't students like the band director? A few whining students don't qualify for cause of action. More than a few students who can verbalize the personality problem or lack of teaching competence can produce a valid complaint.

Example: When I was in high school the director concentrated on "long hair" band music that was a challenge and was musical. We had great respect in the state. After I graduated the band director was moved on and a new director brought in concert band, jazz band and year around small groups. The change was made because the students and parents wanted a diversified music program. The school board listened.

10. Keegan Katastrofee

Keegan Katastrofee New Friend

Dec 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm in middle school, I have a band going and its a great experience. Playing shows is the coolest thing ever and practices are a great way to get closer to your friends. If he's into it, he's into it.

However, don't pressure him to do it if he doesn't enjoy it. If you pressure too much, he'll want to quit even more