More discussion on buzzing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Apr 24, 2015.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
  2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    As a comeback amateur player of 30 years and for the last 25 attended an annual music camp where several of the tutors have been keen on free and mouthpiece buzzing I incorperated it into my practice, also on the weekly 100km drive to big band rehearsal.

After several years of this I felt I was not getting any benefit from it. Over the years I have had several teachers, only 2 addressed the playing of the instrument, the others taught me music.

After extensive reading on this and other sites I changed my approach to playing, Instead of trying to force the trumpet by buzzing the lips with tension, I now play relaxed letting the trumpet resonate and feel the reaction to the standing wave on the lips. My endurance and range has increased dramatically, instead of starting to fail during the 3rd set of a dinner dance on 3rd trumpet I now play a mix of 1st and 2nd parts, 12 months ago on the eve of my 76th birthday I played a wedding reception from 6:00 pm until midnight, entry and dinner music, dance music from 8:00 till midnight with 10 minute break each hour.

I have abandoned free and mouthpiece buzzing entirely. This is my experience.

Regards, Stuart.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Those are some good articles and I agree with them both. I've been a proponent of both IF you can't access a horn but they cannot and should not replace playing a horn. Several years ago, after talking through PM's with a highly esteemed TMer, I invested in a hose trumpet because of a lack of resistance from both free and mpc buzzing. All I can say is, game changer!! I still do both to warm up before playing.

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I think I agree with this 95% Ivan. There's just one small area of doubt.

When I restarted playing this time around, I was conscious that my free buzz had gaps in it. If I tried a glissando with or without mouthpiece, my lip would tend to stick for a while at a preferred pitch, and then jump or fourth or so. This didn't seem to have any noticeable effect on my ability to sustain any given note, but it did tie in with odd blocks of notes where I had problems with the initial attack.

So the synergy between trumpet resonance and lip that you refer to, no problems with that at all. But for that brief instant when you start a note, before the instrument has chance to give resonant feedback, the argument doesn't really have the same force. You're having to support the note without assistance (correct me if I'm wrong here).

Having said that, I've sort of decided in my own mind that the key to 'smoothing out the buzz' is to work on thousands of repetitions of legato scales, and get my lip accustomed to those awkward frequencies, rather than try forcing the issue with some free buzzing exercise. But I do check the smoothness of my free buzz from time to time just to see how it's progressing.

No harm in that I hope (?)

5. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    Sorry, probably a really stupid question, and a little off topic, but what's a hose trumpet?

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You know Sethoflagos, you and I don't always disagree.

I've never really been one to buzz, in any of the normal forms buzzing takes - free buzzing, buzzing with a mouthpiece, or even buzzing the leadpipe. For me, it always seemed like the perceived point of focus shifts, which is probably due to the differences in resistance that Joey talks about in his article, and if I did too much buzzing, it was detrimental to my playing overall because my lips would adjust for that, which was not correct when put together with the horn. It's the same reason I don't like to practice with any kind of mute for very long - the added resistance causes the chops to adjust for it, which throws off the chops focus when it's just you and the horn.

I'd completely abandoned the idea of buzzing, but now Joey is making me think that maybe there is some benefit to be gained if I rethink my approach a bit.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    3/8 I.D. flexible pvc tubing, about 10' long. I have an old Bach TR200 bell attached.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm with Tobylou8 mostly on this, to the extent that buzzing a mouthpiece should NOT be the replacement of a mouthpiece attached an instrument, but when there is no alternative, I'll opt for a few minutes just buzzing a mouthpiece. I also do find I buzz a mouthpiece when I'm selecting which mouthpiece I'll play with an instrument at hand, but it is just momentarily to ascertain the comfort level I have with a mouthpiece that moment. After a while of practice or playing, I may change mouthpieces and go through this same routine again. Yes, I do consider myself to be a recreational player because primarily I do so for my own enjoyment.

Also at times when I do buzz a mouthpiece, I'll also use David O'Neill's BuzzzMaster.

9. Tarh331_Dad

Tarh331_Dad Piano User

Jan 14, 2014
    Whoa - "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" meets "Jonathan Livingston Seagull".

What do the resulting acoustics sound like?

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Well, since the camps are out on buzzing we don't need to take sides, rather just try it. It is free and if we keep our chops strong by sensible practice, there isn't much that we can break.

I do buzz the mouthpiece for a couple of minutes before I play and every trumpet lesson that I give does the same. The function that I am training is to lower tension and without the resonant trumpet to take control, I can "feel" tension more quickly.

I flap the lips on the way to a gig just to get the juices flowing. That is as close as I have ever gotten to "free buzzing".