More discussion on buzzing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Apr 24, 2015.

1. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    A possible answer to the above question could potentially be very off-color.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Tartell's blog certainly brings out the dangers of buzzing, and it is best to approach mouthpiece buzzing ala Stamp, under the tutelage of a Stamp student or student of a student. Mouthpiece buzzing can be a huge part of ear training--if I can play a tritone accurately on the mouthpiece alone, I am really hearing the interval. Sometimes just buzzing a problem lick can help dial in our accuracy.

My take is that mouthpiece buzzing, applied properly, can create some big benefits.

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Why not sing it?

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I have a usable singing range of about an octave, I can't sing harmony and I'm a trumpet player, not a singer. It was only after practicing intervals with the mouthpiece that my sight-singing got any good.

5. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Because shower walls crack.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Interesting articles - Thanks

I do not Buzz as just an exercise, except in the car when listening to music, I may buzz along with a tune. I would never consider putting a mouthpiece or anything else to my face when driving.

I am helping someone to learn Bugle since November last year, and as he is a new starter to Bugle/Trumpet. We used to start the practice with just mouthpiece buzzing, more centred around getting the brain and embouchure used to the feel and sensations.

We now use a handy warm-up practice - to drop the Tuning Slide off the trumpet, and tune to F (Concert Eb) using a tuner. I find this helpful to warm up, and also helps to get the feel of lipping up and down to get into tune. It is good for developing a sense of centre for the sound. It is like a lead pipe Buzz, but just easier to do when warming up on the horn.

BTW this retired gentleman had a range of 6 open notes within 3 months. I think Bb Bugle is the best way to learn to get an embouchure working, and to develop a good ear for the partials. In March we moved to the trumpet, and the warm-up Buzz using the main slide removed. We still finger the notes on the valves, even though in reality it is just the leadpipe of the horn we are playing.

I still do a little free buzz, and horse flutter as part of my daily start up. Maybe only 20 seconds or so. There is a place for anything that works, or that helps - try it and decide for yourself what works.