more info on FirstAct horns...?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by mchs3d, Dec 11, 2005.

1. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I've heard quite often that the little FirstAct trumpets parents buy for their 6th grader are such terrible quality that the local repair shop won't even take them. I was just wondering if anyone knew a little bit more about these, and why they are considered to be low quality. Thanks for any responses! :-)

2. 2ndchair

2ndchair New Friend

May 5, 2004
    Midwest
    I am advising my students to make a thoughtful decision and consider many alternatives before choosing any horn. I even offer to have them bring the choices to a lesson for a personal appraisal of any trumpet they might be thinking of buying. To date these horns have not been a good fit for any of the players I know.

3. Mr. Semman

Mr. Semman Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2005
    West Brookfield, MA
    Two years ago, my wife caught me looking at the First Act Horns at BJ's. Next thing I knew, she had purchased one for me for Christmas. I used it for several months, but the third valave kept sticking, so I brought it back to Newton, MA to have it repaired. I don't know what they did, but it still stuck, so I have relinquished it to the basement. I might use it for decorating my study/ laundryroom later. While the horn has a good sound, it is smaller than other makers, and the valves are poorly designed with burrs. My advice is to save your money for a better named horn. Even used horns on e-bay would be better. To me, there is nothing more distracting then to have to stop in the middle of a bar to dry off and re-oil a valve.

I would not even consider giving you mine, as I have a conscience.

Have a great holiday season.

Gary

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I have played a few of those horns; they are among the most poorly playing horns I have ever tried. None of the local stores here will work on those horns.

Do a google search and you can find all the details of how they are made.

5. ftibets

ftibets New Friend

Feb 4, 2006
    Boston
    first act

These First Act horns are terrible. Packed to sell like a dvd player at Target or BJ's, they are conveniently provided to parents who do not know where to go for a quality instrument at an affordable price. In my opinion what is even more scandalous is that so many music teachers that I have met have no clue and no knowledge on how to help parents navigate through garbage.