More mellow

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by harveyhassanator, Mar 27, 2011.

1. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    Hi guys.
    Was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of building instruments and could give me a hand solving a question.

Ive always been interested in the sound a horn makes and am always critical of the sound i produce. If i wanted to make my trumpet more mellow or airy, depending on how you would put it, how would i do so? larger bell, lead pipe?

any help would be great or examples of work you have done or had done yourselves.

thanks
    Harvey

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    pretty easy! Deeper mouthpiece for more mellow. Practice less for more air.

What you are asking depends an awful lot on how you play. With the same horn and mouthpiece, the more elegant player will sound mellower - even if measuring the sound shows that it is still technically "bright".

A dark sound is generally a BIG handicap. It is not heard as it is covered up by brighter instruments. That forces the dark player to play louder, destroying the balance.

The best place to change sounds is between the ears. Once you have spent time with hardware and get comfortable, more of YOU comes out again and that means the same issues as before. Impoving the ears/brains means your audience gets a better styled product. That is where the investment pays off best!

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Also open up your embrasure to provide more air into the mouthpiece, and definitely relax as you blow the stream of air through.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    are you looking for a jazz soloist type of sound?

5. harveyhassanator

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    yeah :-) that kinda thing, closer to a flugel sound you know? I play classical trumpet and flugel in brass bands but i want to have something in between. Its not necessity but, id just like it :-)

6. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    listen to mellow players on you tube, Chris Botti is a great one! then play!

make sure you relax and really open up and play with a nice big open sound, get a deeper mouthpiece, I hear curry do a flugel trumpet MP, might be worth a blow! what are you playing on now? why not go for the same size but with a deeper cup eg, a 3C go to a 3B

7. harveyhassanator

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    I'm playing on a 3B now for all my playing. I'm not trying to sound cocky but I've got a very big very open sound as it is which is now why I'm looking for a change in instrument design :)

8. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
  9. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    OK fair enough, go try some out then! ive just bought a selmer concept TT and its so 'big' get a nice dark sound but will brighten up if i wanted it to, go for something a bit heavier maybe

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Sounds like you need a cornet. Some of the better cornets get along well with both extremes of mouthpieces, from shallow C cups to big BBB-style cups. You can then pick your sound color as easy as changing a mouthpiece. I have an early 1960's Conn 5B that's that way - it can be a very mellow cornet or a trumpet with a simple mouthpiece (and attitude) change. I hear that the Conn 80A is that way, too. Yeah, the attitude/playing style has to go along with the equipment change to get good results.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011