More mellow

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by harveyhassanator, Mar 27, 2011.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    ROwuk -Thanks for the comment. As a player with a bright sound I have noted that a lot of folks posting are always talking about wanting a dark sound. While my playing is mainly confined to big band type music, I never understood the facination for a dark sound.

I found it rewarding that you indicated dark is actually a handicap in most situations. I am sure there are some places where dark is preferred -but I've always worked for a bright edge.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Then you really need to open up your embrasure, and blow air through a wider (relaxed with dropping the lower jaw) opening between your lips. This will definitely produce about as close to a flugel sound as you can get.

3. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    why not get a flugel/deep cornet MP and an adapter?

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Because I think it's cool to be able to expand the horizons of the trumpet. It can be done and it adds so much to the technical ability of the musician. This site is all about how we can achieve these skills.

However, if this individual does not want to invest the time to develop this skill, than buying a flugel horn is another option.

5. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    Its a good point. time is not a problem, I am practicing every day for many hours but at the moment its spent more on pieces for an audition i have for a job as a trumpet/cornet player in the army corps of music. when ive practiced on making my sound darker, ill post the results. thanks for the input guys and if anyone has another comment, don't hesitate :)

6. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK

The armys my plan for when uni is finished :)

7. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Listen to the players that have a dark/mellow sound, and a deep v-cup mouthpiece will help as well!

Good luck,
    Kujo

8. harveyhassanator

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    Really? You want to go to and band or not bothered? hope all goes well for you :)

9. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    yep, gonna join the corps of music, living on salisbury plain im surround by the army and some amazing army musicians, which regiment you thinking off?

10. harveyhassanator

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    Irish Guards :) My dad was the principle Cornet for 10 years and I want to do the same. Eventually. Not going to uni though, going straight in after 6th form :)