more mouthpiece ring on top lip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Aug 31, 2011.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    I find I have more of a ring on my top lip, and hardly any on my bottom lip. Do others find this to be true? How does this effect ones playing?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Don't be concerned with the ring--be concerned with your playing!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The key to getting better is playing more and finding ways to make your playing more enjoyable. Most all playing sins reduce with time if the player really starts LISTENING more and watching less.

If YOU get a decent DAILY routine, your playing will get better through evolution. Lipslurs and long tones are VERY effective in helping us find the most efficient mouthpiece position. Practically no amount of "looking" will help.

If we are really honest with ourselves, we discover a formula for what we have to invest to accomplish things. Once we have that, incredible things are possible - not only with the trumpet

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Well I would ask how does it affect your playing? If you feel you are an accomplished player with a good sound etc. then you can best work this out for yourself by moving the mouthpiece lower and playing that way for a while -- then you'll know how it affects your playing. Some good players seem to place the mouthpiece more on one lip than another, so I suppose they've worked out what works for them. And it could be related to jaw position, teeth, lip sizes, relative lip strength, habit,.....

--bumblebee

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If you don't have I ring, you are not practicing enough! I see the ring as a badge of honor. It really doesn't matter were it is positioned on your lips, as long as it is a mark of were your mouthpiece goes to give you the best tone possible. So now that it's there, keep it there... practice, practice, practice.