More practice, less tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PaigeBurnett, Sep 30, 2012.

Tags:
  1. PaigeBurnett

PaigeBurnett New Friend

Nov 18, 2011
    So recently I've been upping my practice time by about 20 minutes, but with that my tone has gotten worse.
    Am I straining myself ? or maybe adopting bad habits ?
    I don't want to cause permanent damage or anything like that so please any opinion will be greatly appreciated :)
    Also I know this is very vague but my tone has gotten a lot more grainy.

2. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    I dont see how that will effect your tone, unless you have almost no endurance. How long was your normal practice time?

Always work for a good tone, open your aperture(space between teeth), full breath, open your throat, and dont tense up. Never use to little air, you want a nice big, broad, good sound from your horn. Never settle for anything less.

3. PaigeBurnett

PaigeBurnett New Friend

Nov 18, 2011
    I was only practising for about 20 minutes before, so it was a big leap. Also, I've been putting a lot of pressure on my lips and I think that might be what's making my tired so quickly ? I'm not really certain about how to get the high notes otherwise (I do know I shouldn't be doing it though)

4. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Yeah, you have horrible endurance. I would say to only practice 30 mins until you are happy with how you are going, then go to 40. Don't worry about any high notes, they will come. I would work on scales, all 12 major scales. Try what I said above, and with less pressure too.

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Try doing more frequent, but shorter sessions...

Don't go from 20 to 40... Go from 20 to 30, but do it in two 15 min sessions.
    Then build to 40 by doing two 20's... 45 mins in three 15 min sessions.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You have over done it. Good news is it is highly unlikely you have done lasting damage. Rule of muscle physiology is to increase a workout by no more than 20% and advance a week at a time. So to go from 20 minutes, it is advisable to move to 25 minutes for a week, then to 30 minutes the next week, then 35 minutes the next week, after about a month, then you can advance to 40 minutes. When you reach my age, you can play every hour in the day... on Venus!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh, by the way, if you were Kingtrumpet... You'd be playing from Uranus.

8. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    It goes like this. I practise, I sound better, I get confident, I start playing louder, my tone suffers, I can't figure out why my tone sucks, I take a break, then start pracitising again...

9. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    To the OP-I'm going to assume that you are a fairly young player. Yes, your tone will get "grainy" when you overdo and your lips will feel stiff and unresponsive. See all the above advice. Make sure you are using sufficient air (often a problem in young players) and blow through the horn, not into it with good support. Air support will help with the issue of using too much pressure. Faster air-stream equals better high range without pressure.

To gmaonady-Uranus! Bwahahahaha ROFL ROFL ROFL!