More practice= worse playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamba21500, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Some instruments tend to be a little sharp on fourth space E as well as a first space F. A first valve slide adjustment of about 1/16th inch extension corrected this and also improved my Bb and A on such an instrument. It did force a slight lipping of a D in space below staff sometimes or the 1-3 valve combination on some Bb instruments. As the rangemaster said, know the weapon and correct with TN windage and KY elevation.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I spend a lot of my long tone, lip slur time with the radio on. The Korg tuner tells me quickly what key we're in ..... then I do long tones over the song. If you've got the key note and play that in long tones, the song tends to pull you away from it as it goes through its progression. Lip slurring in that same finger position tends to sound good and can be the beginnings of improvising.

Music. But NEVER the TV.:thumbdown:

Turtle

3. Bachman72

Bachman72 New Friend

Nov 21, 2011
    Enfield CT
    If you have a good teacher, ask him to give you a practice routine.
    If your teacher does have you on a good routine. Try following his system blindly. I don't mean don't think, I mean think
    differently.

I have encountered the most problems when I think about results and start judging myself.
    Focus on the process as described by your teacher not your results. If you have a good teacher relax, follow his instructions and the results will eventually come .

Read The Inner Game Of Music.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    OH MY let the KINGTRUMPET put in his 2 cents. Sometimes my tone goes in the crapper and usually it comes from (playing too much - = tired, or playing too loud - = tired). A lot of things change in my 47 ish body, and during my last 3 years of a comeback. The one solid fundamental plan of attack (for me) is too go back to long soft tones. 2nd line G in the staff, and up or down as it is comfortable --- and I mean do this long tone, soft notes for like 20 minutes at least -- or work your way there. This way you can FOCUS, and FEEL the lips and pressure if you are using it. Long tones, very softly -- always help me --- and that is my opinion ----and sometimes an actual day or two of rest (like only 5 minutes of playing helps to recoop if I have really played too much)

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    To elaborate on KT's 2 cents, an exercise I start my practice with which came from TH is to start with the third space C played softly for 30 seconds then rest for 30 seconds, continue descending by semitones with the same pattern to F# below stave. This will take 19 minutes. I have found this very beneficial in developing endurance and tone and reducing pressure, also a new use for my old darkroom timer.

KT is a youngster, I will be 74 early next year, play in a big band where the current trumpet section is all over 70, the more I practice the better I am getting.

Regards, Stuart.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Stuart, age isn't that much of a factor, but I'll be 76 in 2012. However, I'm an advocate of chromatic scales of the ascent and decent by semi-tones, and too, to forcibly play as soft as possible, and this seems at first near impossible when tutoring those in marching band or with such a background (including myself). What I am finding the most beneficial in my recovery from major dental and health issues is tutoring four beginning 5th graders and demonstrating to them what is required. Honestly, I don't believe I'll find many, if any, as can play a low (below G clef staff) F# well centered for a whole note on Bb trumpet at pp, nor on a compensating euphonium within the bass clef where it is viz it is primarily a lip adjustment that not many can accomplish well. Still, why make a big deal about it if you can't cite one hundred songs in which it is found for your instrument. Yeah, they do print it as within the range of a Bb trumpet, but you just can't play it solely by fingering, just as you can't play other notes in the range of a Bb trumpet either solely by fingering. You've got to add in the quick slide or lip adjustment, what in my mind is akin to TN windage and KY elevation of firearm usage.

I too have that monster darkroom timer, but I seldom now use it because it lacks efficient portability for music. Alternately I use small mechanical kitchen timers (yes, two of them, one timing my total session length and the other I manipulate for lesser timing needs.).

7. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    practice / improvement... maybe a key with trumpet practice like any goal is to break it up into smaller more manageable pieces. So instead of practicing everything and improving nothing, focus on 1 or 2 specific goals and work on those until they are improved before moving on.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    actually -- YOU OLDER GUYS give me some hope that my trumpet playing can continue for another decade or two --- I would hate to think that I was running out of gas, so early, so easily. So my hat is off to Stumac, Ed Lee, gmonady, Al INNELLA, just to name a few of the OLDER GUYS who give great advice on life, the trumpet, and inspiration for me to continue playing the trumpet.
    thank you
    Ken aka kingtrumpet

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So let me help you out in context of this quote. More practice to keep you from running out of gas? Here is the secret... ready... read carefully:

The next time you are in the Cincinnati area, practice eating at our world famous Skyline Chili. I guarantee, after finishing this Cincinnati delicacy, you will not be running out of gas! THIS Kingtrumpet is what keeps this old fart in prime performance! There you have it, on OLD GUY secret.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hmmm, I've been to the GE plant in Evendale and stayed a while - I ALWAYS thought it was the beer that caused the gas - you learn something everyday! Magic.