More practice= worse playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamba21500, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Haven't smoked anything for over 25 years, and the only drugs I use are Rx prescribed for me.

Have you ever been qualified to pilot aircraft? Wrong info results in pilot error. Wrong practice procedures results in poor peformance. Life experience provides many similes. Still, some pound their head against brick walls.

2. Hornman1

Hornman1 Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2009
    Mississippi coast
    just kiddin Ed, does anyone have a sense of humor tonite jeeezzzz ................ but it does open your mind to jazz playing ;-)

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'm pretty much always up for humor (humour for the majority of the hemispheres). Hit me with soom more humor Hornman1.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I may be a stodgy oldee, and an ex BNDD (predecessor of DEA) LEO, but you'll have to wind me up or pay me to play jazz as it is not my favorite genre and I had to give up drinking years ago thus have no purpose anymore to hang out in clubs and bars. Too, where I am now is not New Orleans LA. Really want to "wind me up", tell Santa to bring me a flugel, as otherwise I too may have to "hit the road" or lay down in the hole.

Otherwise, I'm now in the doldrums and may be losing the 4 boys I'm tutoring effective Dec 31 2011 due to this county school board discontinuing their vocal and instrumental music classes at this time, and their bands at the end of the school year in June of 2012. Their teachers / instructors came here under the Teachers for America program. Too, three of the boys use school instruments

However, I have got my ticket for the appearance at East Carolina University in Greenville NC of the Preservation Hall Band from New Orleans LA, so I'll have to condition my mind by listening to some of such in my collection, if not the best among the best being Louis Armstrong and Al Hirt.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    And how many times have you been asked to point to a funny bone on the skeleton? What some think is funny IMO is deserving of the hook. What I've just asked also!

I've been delinguent, and now must begin my morning practice session viz "Bury my sorrows in song" and "Uplift my [your] spirit with song."

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Maybe you and your Aussie friends would like alternative words that would not add to the confusion of this word (humor, humour).
    might I suggest: Wit, fun, comedy, Factiousness, Amusement, Jocularity ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    of course sidereal time, as well as Einstein's theory of relativity, as well as Quantum mechanics and the effects of gravity on time (and on the path of light) is actually beyond the scope of this post. However to maximize your practice time and to live longer --- I suggest to practice the trumpet at the equator, in a high speed airliner, or on a turntable where "rate of speed" is accelerated, and your "time" is actually lengthened. ((for the drummers out there --- the "time" is only lengthened by picoseconds during ones life (assuming you lived at the higher velocity equator versus living in the extreme southern (Aussie side of world) or the extreme northern hemispheres)) --- and clearly this post is meant to be HUMOR, or HUMOUR, of plain old jocularity ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I don't know Ed, it depends on which one she's tickling at the time!

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Bet never tickles me there! Don't think it would get a desired response. Still, my question was a trick one, and I did laugh when it was answered with the "humerus" or upper arm bone. Still, the trick is that you wouldn't find it on a skeleton, for it is the ulnar nerve. Close but no win for the kewpie doll. You can tap it with your little rubber hammer and get a startling reflex, but elbow injury as in basketball causes excruciating pain when infammation puts pressure on it. Gee, did I pass my EMT test ... sure I did, but I can't now remember how long ago it was ... errrr ... I don't want to remember how long ago it was.

The more favorable usage I had for Grey's Anatomy was in art studies of the human form. My copy is now in some still unpacked box and I've not room here in my office now to put it on a shelf. Don't suppose I have much need for it now either.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Maybe someone looked in a Thesaurus, but overlooked "jovially" and "merry". Ho! Ho! Ho!