More practice= worse playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamba21500, Oct 5, 2011.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Don't mid us - we're fine. Anything that makes you laugh works for us - doesn't matter what label you use. :cool:

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    "Laugh and world laughs with you ... cry and you cry alone." Laughter is a great facial muscle developer and as such a boon to the brass player. Once upon a time I wished I was a clown that could cause others to laugh, instead at times I have thought I'm a buffoon by the foolish things I've done.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    at first I thought the theasurus was an Aussie dinosaur -- but I was wrong -- it was for finding words. ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    "Theasurus" no not one of the Aussie dinosaurs - but there are a few, and more previously unknown ones being unearthed regularly.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The reflex you should get if your doctor hits your ulner nerve with the little rubber hammer is to slap them silly. THAT WOULD HURT! What we doctors tap with that little rubber hammer is the muscle belly supplied by nerves which triggers a lower spinal neuronal pathway leading to that muscle group jerk, which is known as a reflex. It should be painless.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Yeah, I read about the Tedosaurus--decorum prevents me from giving more details....

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    .... of course it's full name is the Tedotrumposaurus Aeronauticum, but I'm not sure I have the correct Latin spelling - it's been years since I studied any Latin.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh my, its time to get out your Dizzy and Arturo charts and get back with studying real Latin my friend!

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    In Germany they have J├Ągerlatein which is still in use in America by fisherman describing the one who got away. It is also seen being used by certain trumpet players. By all means we should ban its export to Australia--they might then become unstoppable!

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Durn right it would hurt, but I might be charged with murder if a Doc struck me there.

Ain't much a Doc has done to me in my life that I did enjoy unless I was anesthetized or somehow sedated. I don't like most exam types I've endured. I'm impatient just sitting (or laying) and waiting to get whatever behind me.

Still, it was amazing how most students in the EMT class I took kept from laughing when a student approached the skeleton to point to a "funny bone". Its called a choked laugh to keep from revealing the joke, and best accomplished with a plain facial expression.
    Still, I ponder how many others really expected him to point to the "funny bone". I did surmise the instructor had a propensity to ask trick questions, which I subsequently learned is a good interrogation technique ... which even at times a Doctor is not remiss to use I've discerned. Yeah, the truth is that the pain a patient has is always in their mind, but their sense from there is that the cause may be elsewhere.