More than Arban book

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    I was checking Amazon.com and discovered more than one Arban book. One has horns other than trumpet/cornet, another is a paperback called "introduction to conservatory method", yet another is spiral bound but is out of stock for 2 months. Which one is considered the trumpeters bible?

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    The 1894 or 1936 edition (I still have mine). The rest are just copies that are too thick for their own good (they added the commentary in 14 languages, I think). I would buy the spiral bound version and then remove all of the pages that have exercises and put them in a 3-ring binder so I could take them out as I practice. The new book won't even stay on the stand it is so heavy.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

I personally like the version with additional information from Vizzutti...

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    If you buy the complete conservatory method you will not go wrong. Anything else, I believe, will not be complete.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The Carl Fischer edition with the red cover is the closest to the older copies. It doesn't have the additional languages like the blue cover. The spiral bond edition leaves out all the metronome markings making it useless in my opnion.

6. trumpmac

trumpmac Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have the Platinum Addition. It seems to be the same as the old one to me.

7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    OK, I stand corrected... My "new" one is the blue cover (1982 Edition) which has all of the additional languages. I did not realize the red cover edition had that removed. So, maybe the red one will stay on the stand and not cause it to tip over.

8. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Naw, the red cover version is still almost as heavy as the blue cover version and is dangerous when used on a folding music stand. Heck, I had to buy a special clutch for my aging Manhasset stand so that it wouldn't sink down under the weight of the Arban book.

9. Tom W.

Tom W. New Friend

Aug 16, 2009
    sterling IL USA
    But isn't it kind of neat to use a method book that is heavier than your horn (case and all)?