more than one?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by harveyhassanator, Jan 19, 2011.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I only own a single Bb trumpet at the moment, but I'd like to get something else for church, quintet or other jobs where I need to blend and I want a bit of a more compact sound than is offered by my Schilke B6. Having said that, during the time when I owned a Strad ML/37, I used that horn for everything.

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    My 4 regular gigs are with a rock/funk band, a couple big bands and a quintet.
    I also do occasional gigs in churches, taps, weddings, funerals, pits, etc.

I use the same Bb trumpet and mouthpiece for all of this.
    I use a flugel sometimes in all of this too.
    I use a C and a piccolo for quintet and church.

These 4 horns cover pretty much all the music I face.

Greg

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Like Gzent I also use a flugel with the rock band gig, so that's pretty much it - 2 horns for everything I play.

4. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    maybe im just to critical of my sound in things :p ill just battle on until i have the money

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I play mostly big band and some time Latin gigs. I bring one Bb and one flugel.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Or you are looking for reasons to buy a new trumpet - that's not necessarily a terrible thing. :-)

I've played and gigged for a lot of years and I never really used too many different trumpets. Most of the time I just had a single pro-level horn that I used for everything and that seemed to get me by just fine. I started gigging at age 17 and at the time I had inherited the ML 37 Strad from my older sister who stopped playing just a year before. That trumpet got me through the rest of HS and my first few years as an Army Bandsman where I used it for Jazz band, quintet, concert band, and any other freelance job that came down the pike. After that I got a LB 25 Strad - same thing, only I gigged Latin band and rock band on it as well. I got the Schilke about 5 years ago and gave the LB 25 Strad to my niece who is an aspiring HS player.

So that's roughly 23 years, mostly on just 3 trumpets although I have sprinkled a couple of other horns in here and there. At one point I owned a cobbled together tuning bell Strad that was an ok player, and I used it now and again, but sold it after about a year, and I also had a pretty nice issued Yamaha and Strad, but I always preferred mine and never really used them.

It should also be noted that I did almost all of that playing on a Marcinkiewiz #3, (3 years) and then a Marcinkiewicz #2 that I got when the first was stolen when I left it out on accident when I was at the Armed Forces School of Music.

You have to ask yourself at some point whether it's the horn or whether it's you - especially if you've got a solid, middle of the road horn. To be fair, I bought my Schilke because I felt it would be better as a rock band horn, and it is, but I still got the job done on the LB Strad.

Edit: I just went back and re-read the initial post - if you are looking for a specific sound, I see no reason to not go ahead and find something else that helps you to facilitate that sound, even though you can do it on your Strad. That's why I got the Schilke and that's also why I started using a Schilke 14A4a (and later a straight 14A4) as a mouthpiece. And don't even get me started when it comes to drums - different snare drums of different materials, different lines, brands, types and sizes of cymbals, different heads, bigger/smaller toms, etc. I currently own 3 snare drums in 2 different sizes and 3 different materials, and based on the music we are doing in a given week, I might pull out something different than what I had been using. I did that just last week playing at church - I had been using my 6x14 maple snare, but I wanted something with a bit more ping, volume and a sharper crack, so I went with my 5x14 bronze snare.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  7. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    For my dance band stuff, I bring 2 trumpets, one cornet, and one flugel. Some songs I like on the Super, some on the Recordiing, then the 80A and the flug. Depends. I could easily get by with just 1 trumpet and a flug, and when I am rushed, I just bring the Super.

8. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    i use one horn for everything! ...'cause i only have one and can't afford a second yet ;)

9. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    thanks trickg. so you like the schilke then? i guess its a matter of trying trumpets out and then getting the one that does it for me. if i knew more about modifying trumpets, i would buy one and design it around me but, as i dont, probably not wise :thumbdown:

10. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    i don't know if your a fan of bachs or not, but if you visit their website and hit "build a bach" you can have them custom build you a trumpet. i've had fun sitting there designing trumpets for... well i've probably gotten more entertainment out of it than is healthy