more than one?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by harveyhassanator, Jan 19, 2011.

1. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    hahahaha ROFL, i know the one. my issue with that is that i cant try it to make it around me, i dont know what would benefit me and what wouldnt. im thinking saving up and going to taylor since he's local. ish :-?

2. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    to be honest i'm not familiar enough with trumpets to know if the principles are the same, but i know enough about trombones to know what metals i like on what part of the horn, and what properties (i.e. bore size, bell size/weight, bracing etc) to know what i like. i just base my... imaginings off that

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I do like Schilkes - so much so that I doubt if I'll play anything else from here on out - surely they have a model that would give me the kind of sound I want no matter what sound I'm looking for. They are exceedingly well made and consistent from horn to horn - I don't think there is any such thing as a poor playing Schilke although a person could probably find one that isn't quite what they had in mind. I gig tested an X4 once and it was such an open horn I just couldn't seem to fill it up, so that horn isn't for me, but my B6 just sizzles as a rock band trumpet and is easy to play. My only complaint is that it's just a bit squirrely in the slotting.

4. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    I might have to give the X4 a shot then, because every trumpet i've played so far feels like i'm blowing up a balloon.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Interesting thread. I usually use my King 600 as a warmup and the slightly larger bore King Silver Flair as the main horn, but I am pondering on next weeks gig with adding either my Fluglehorn or quite possibly my 50's era Olds Eb horn. I am leaning heavily to using the Eb is quit unusual and I use my flugle mpc. The Eb is quite a contrast to the trumpet -- lower and mellower sound than even the Flugle, Although - almost impossible to get every note in tune. Fiddler on the roof -- "if I were a rich man", the Eb is not highly responsive to a rather fast tonguing line I want to do, and it doesn't sing loudly for the octave higher shift I will do, but it is cool and should please the audience -- and that is what the bottom line is anyhow. Gee - I think I answered my own question.

6. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Mostly I use the two Holtons in my signature. I use the Denis Wick on the 48. After playing the Alto horn, which has a much larger mouthpiece, it's easier to switch back to the Wick because it's larger than the Heim on the Llewellyn. I don't really know why I like the Holtons better for jazz than the Bach. Some sort of psychosomatic illness, I'm sure.

7. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I can empathize with TrickG on those Schilkes. They get a GREAT sound. I don't have any now, but i have owned more than one. They can hide in a section and then cover up everybody else when you give it the gas. The sound cuts right through.

8. laurie

laurie Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    Australia
    I have a Marcinkiewicz,a Yamaha "James Morrison" and a B&S. All 3 are very good horns,but its rare that I gig on anything other than the Marcinkiewicz.
    Ocassionally I use my Olds Flugel,Havnt used my Olds cornet for a very long time.
    Most of my playing is R&B,Motown, party band stuff,and some big band.
    Laurie

9. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    all really helpful guys!
    has anyone tried a monette btw? it seems strange how we love instruments that are £1500-3000 (not sure how much in dollars) and they sell theirs for for more than triple that :/ overrated?

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    When I need a trumpet, I use an old Bach ML 43 I've had forever, usually with a 3C mouthpiece. That covers classical, quintet, big band, etc. When a C trumpet is needed, I have a Bach ML 239 that's nice. For church (unless it's something "trumpety"), brass band, and melodic playing, I have a couple nice cornets - a Conn 5A and a Bach ML 184 with a gold brass bell. I use a Wick 4B in them most of the time, but the Conn can double as a trumpet in a pinch with a 3C cornet mouthpiece. If it's a big band gig, I'll also bring a flugel along, an Olds L-12 with a Callet Solo mouthpiece. The Callet isn't as deep a flugel piece as I'd like, but it's the most in-tune mouthpiece I've ever played on a flugel.