Morning Marching Band

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GijsVis, Sep 9, 2012.

1. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Allright TM, I need your help once more.

Last thursday I had my first marching band session, and apart from my lyre being way too small, it went OKist, considered it was my first time. I'm walking all in the front right corner, which apparantly is the most difficult position, considering the corners and making the tempo.

So this week it's celebration week in my town, historically there what a horse market, and there's a fair and a market and music in the evenings and all. But now in the middle of the week, on thursday, I have to blow the Dutch Last Post (Taptoesignaal) from the Church tower at 7 am, and march with the parade of the elementary school, where they all dress up. The thing is, the night before, I'm playing with my party band, the Dutch variant of Schlager or Hoempapa band from Germany, who play in cafes, in our music building, which is transformed into a bar/cafe during celebration week, and it will be filled up with costumers, and it will be very lively, and afterwards, there's music on our town square as well, and it will get pretty late, like 2 or 3 pm late.

Anyway, I'm wandering off, so next morning I have to play the Last Post at 7am and afterwards, march through the town, the Last Post won't be any problem to play, but I'll have a considerably large hangover (that's the term right? The headache after a large alcohol input? :lol:) since the main drink out there will be beer, and I think it will greatly influence my playing. Badly. So does anyone have any tips or tricks, apart from not drinking, for me for playing with a hangover? :lol:

Also, I'm not at all a good marcher, it will be my second time ever, I'll have a good lyre, but it's the issue of above as well. And do you have tips on marching, especially through the (narrow and wide) Dutch streets, with all the road smallers and bumps?

I won't be very active as well from Tuesday on, since I'm like playing with the party band for hours a day, or serving drinks at our music house, or just making fun. But I'ld like to hear what you can recommend or say about this topic.

I probably forgot to mension some things, but it will come up :lol:
    Thanks,
    Gijs Vis

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Drink a glass of milk and take some advil or tylenol before you sleep. When you wake up, take more tylenol, drink juice, I prefer cactus juice for the night after. Coffee works well too.

3. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Nevermind, there is not international law for that.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  4. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Huh? What?

5. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Edited response.

6. trumpeterjake

trumpeterjake Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    Tylenol, or you could drink alittle less then you normaly would.

7. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Or you could do what the Blue Devils do! They prefer the "coffee shop" to the "café"

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Listen - you are the master of your own fate.

If you want to get drunk, you have to pay the price. In my opinion, it's foolish under the circumstances to over drink. Believe it or not, you can survive a fest and have a lot of fun without getting snot-flinging, commode-hugging drunk. Why not show some maturity and pace yourself? I know what I'm talking about because I lived in Germany for almost 20 years as a musician and have played for many, many fests. I've even done many of them stone-cold sober when it was called for.

And BTW, coffee does nothing to sober one up. It just makes for an awake drunk.

9. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    He is talking about for the hangover, coffee will help wake him up.

10. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    A little hair of the dog the next morning! If you're not familiar with the slang--just get up in the morning and start drinking again. Not only will it postpone the pain of the hangover it will keep you from realizing how badly you're playing.