Moronic Question

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by pmccombs, Sep 2, 2005.

1. pmccombs

pmccombs New Friend

Aug 30, 2005
    Utah, USA
    It seems like I knew about this back when I actually played trumpet a little bit, but...

What do the numbers and letters on the different mouthpieces stand for?

I need to know how to discern diameter, cup size/type (whatever), bore size, etc. It seems that this information is encoded in the mouthpiece designation, but I don't remember how to decode it.

Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm having trouble digging this info up in my searches.

2. VINTAGEBRASS

VINTAGEBRASS Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2004
    Branson
    The numbers and letters will normally tell the rim size, the rim shape, the cup size, the backbore size, and sometimes the cup shape. The designations differ from maker to maker. Check out the brand you are looking at on the internet to find out what their designations are. Or post the brand here and someone should be able to help you out.

3. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    In the case of Bach and the many Bach clones, the numbers are the diameter of the rim (1 being the largest, 20 the smallest). The letters are the depth (A is the deepest, F the most shallow).

With Schilke, they are different. Instead of having a simple system (e.g. 1C), they added other things. For instance 14A4a. The 14 is the diameter (5 is the smallest, 24 is the largest), the A is the depth (A most shallow, F deepest), the 4 is the rim shape (1-5), and the a is the backbore (aa - tightest, f - largest).

4. tooslick

tooslick New Friend

May 22, 2004