Most Beloved Horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, May 5, 2015.

1. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    My favorite horn is Dale's 9A. :D (just kidding, everyone!) The closest I have is a 76A (well, not numerically speaking), although I can't say I have a clear-cut top favorite...I'll probably post something else here in a while...

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The 9A is a looker, for sure, but for me, the Bach plays a bit better and has more of a "cornet sound". With a brass band style mouthpiece, the 9A sounds like a flugelhorn.

[​IMG]

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Just because it is so easy to play - my Puje.
    [​IMG]

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Well, saves you from buying a flugle, then:oops::lol::roll:

5. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    True, but I already have one...an Olds L-12.

6. Buck with a Bach

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    oops, forgot about that one, Dale:dontknow::roll::oops:

7. Buck with a Bach

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Guess out of the horns I have here now, the Olds Custom Crafted with a LB is fast becoming my favorite. The camera and I aren't on the same page right now,though. Out of all the horns I've ever had in my possesion, the LB Strad that I had back in the late '70's into the '80's is my all time fav.................:roll::oops:

8. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yeah, Buck, my favorite trumpet is my '76 Bach Strad ML 43. It has no shortcomings...it's just that I like cornets a bit more than trumpets.

9. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Agreed. If we'd been allowed to list more than one horn, mine would have been up there in short order. It's an amazing example of someone doing things a little differently, but always for a valid reason. The on-the-fly tuning slide, the compactness, the angle of the bell section - it all makes sense, and it all works. My only complaint about mine is that I wish he'd used Olds or Selmer or some other valve body instead of mostly Blessings. Maybe an interchangeable receiver might have been worth trying, too - it's so hard to think of a Puje as a trumpet when it looks and feels so much like a cornet.