Most difficult fingering

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    IMHO the fingering for the combination D(1-3) Eb F is the hardest on the horn. I practice that one all the time back and forth and as part of scales, etc. I can safely say I've cleared the 1000x mark on this one. Seems like there's some kind of upper limit on how fast weaky finger 3 will go in this combination. Combo D F or Eb F I can go much faster. But D/Eb/F it's like there's a governor on my fingers. Any advice?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    2,000 repetitions during the next 30 days. Problem solved. Next?

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Sometimes freeing the right little finger from the finger ring can help. I used to torture students that didn't practice by having them play b-d combinations below the staff. After a few minutes of going between the second valve-first and third combination you could almost hear their arms scream.

4. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    The ring finger and the little finger are sort of connected and want to move together.

Presumably, you are working rhythmically in 4's (sixteenth notes). Try practicing starting on F (F Eb D F, F Eb D F, F Eb D F etc.) and Eb (Eb D Eb F, Eb D Eb F, Eb D E, F etc AND Eb F Eb D, Eb F Eb D,Eb F Eb D etc) to "trick" your mind and adding some variety. Sometimes this technique, along with superimposing other rhythms (i.e. 1 + 23 or 1 2 + 3 or 1 2 3+) makes awkward fingerings like this somewhat smoother.

5. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    The D to E Flat trill on the B Flat trumpet = Low A to B Flat on the E Flat trumpet.

With the first you need to develop huge skills with your weakest finger. The other a simple matter of depressing and removing your middle finger from the second valve. Lightning fast and better. Much less work.

A far easier proposition. "Better living through engineering"

6. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Don't play Eb's. They are highly over rated. Problem solved.

tobylou8 likes this.
  7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    you are pushing three buttons down with your fingers... they are ALL easy.

There are NO difficult fingerings... just ones you haven't practiced enough.

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    While Chuck provides an instant fix (just tell the director Eb is against your religion) the combination is difficult. The bad news is 1000 reps is just a beginning. the good news is it will get easier. Keeping the little finger out of the hook or ring really helps me. While I usually use the ring, If I see low notes, I try to avoid the pinky ring.

9. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Luckily, I don't play for conductors. I was just being flip.

10. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011