Most difficult fingering

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    It's very helpful to practice fingering while holding the horn upside down, using the backside of your fingers. It's very awkward at first, but it works. You don't have to do it fast, either. Just do this technique regularly on any difficult fingering changes. I use that technique, a little bit of left-handed fingering, and, of course, build up the tempo fingering it properly.

I guess knowing how to finger the trumpet upside down is also helpful in case you need to oil your valves in the middle of a performance by oiling them through the holes at the bottom....I know somebody posted a vid of that somewhere here. =P

This way you can learn those nasty fingerings faster than just doing thousands of repetitions.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    also - OIL YOUR VALVES - that should help along with the 2,000 repetitions --- NEXT!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I think I saw a video of James Morrison soloing with his horn upside down. Assuming you're not pulling my leg, I love little tricks like this. Seems like this is a good way to strengthen your fingers, which is probably a big part of the "finger 3' problem.

4. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Switch to the french horn.:-P

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    you saw that correct --- upside down -- unless you are in Australia -- then it would be right-side up --- I think??? ROFL ROFL ROFL
    James Morrison playing trumpet upside down, amazing - YouTube

6. Donald

Donald New Friend

Jul 27, 2010
    Windsor, Canada
    do not use the little finger ring and rotate your wrist to help speed up pressing and releasing third finger - it does help.