Most Difficult-most musical but love to play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sophar, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Sophar

Sophar New Friend

Jan 30, 2005
    Wa
    Dear Manny: I was wondering... out of the vast solo picc. trumpet rep. what work do you find most difficult, most musical but love to play. I just listend to a picc work written for Mr Andrea wow what a blow.

Thanks

Ben

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Ben,

That gave me pause, for I love to listen to Andre play those solos. It's what makes playing those solos so daunting, having that in your ear and tryng to mimic such a quality sound is difficult at best.

At any rate, the solo that I most enjoy hearing him play is an old recording of a transcription of the Telemann Viola concerto. It's just listed on this old Musical Heritage label record as "concerto in Eb" by Telemann. It is brilliant and so gorgeous, I can scarcely describe it.

It's full of liquid slurs, the articulation is perfection and like flowing water when he wants to. The upper register is so crystal clear and powerful that it never fails to inspire me. Of late, I've been playing a lot of stuff on the piccolo and I guess I'll have to pull that out again, now that you've remended me.

The other is his record of the 2nd orchestral suite of Bach where he takes the flute part and plays it better than any flutist I've ever heard. That's on Erato and should be in every trumpeter's record shelf. It's available on CD. When I say better, I mean that he plays every movement with such a variety of color and phrasing that I have not been satisfied by any flutists recording since I picked it up.

So, there you go.

By the way, is this my friend Ben from Olympia?

ML

3. Sophar

Sophar New Friend

Jan 30, 2005
    Wa
    Thank you Manny for the feedback.

Ben :-)