most disappointing trumpet moment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Dec 5, 2012.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Do you have any moments you would like to forget while playing trumpet? Mine happened to be in church while playing "How Great Thou Art". Instead of high C coming out as my last note, the congregation heard nothing but air.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    There have been many,BUT, with two trumpets ploughing (not a typo ;-)) I just keep the horn to my face and move on. I will occasionally glance his way as if to say, "Man, what are you doing", only to find him doing the same!!:D

3. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Dude, it's not that you botched the C. It's because you exceeded the range of human hearing.

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Another church goof here. Christ theLord is Risen today, lost count of verses and didn't get the descant played on the last verse( 6) in the UM hymnal:-(:dontknow::oops:

5. Raymo

Raymo Pianissimo User

Mar 6, 2008
    Rittman, Ohio
    My most disappointing trumpet moment would have to be when I played Taps (echo) with a friend for a large crowd at a National Cemetery. We failed to tune prior to the performance, resulting in a bad, bad sound! Halfway through I stopped playing and let him finish. Thankfully, everyone said we sounded good...

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

7. trumpflugel

trumpflugel New Friend

May 2, 2007
    Texas
    Raymo, are you a member of Bugles Across America? If so, thank you for having taps played live not recorded.

8. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    It happens to everyone at one time or another. Mine have been when playing the Naitonal Anthem at hockey games. Not sure if it is the cold but I have yet to have a clean performance at a hockey game. Their standards aren't nearly as high as mine as they keep calling me back. Forget and move on.

9. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    My Father, a trumpet player himself, told me “ You will make mistakes on the trumpet, and when you do make sure everyone within earshot can hear it” . This is how I’ve always played and everyone hears the clams when they come. :cool:

10. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    JNINWI, your father sounds like a very wise man. I'll remember that in the future.