most disappointing trumpet moment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Dec 5, 2012.

1. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    For me it was getting up in front of 1000 and realizing that my MP had fallen out of my pocket where I was keeping it warm. I made a joke, asked the audience if anyone happened to have a trumpet mouthpiece (of course there was silence and some laughter) and a few seconds hence one of the other participants brought it out to me just as I was preparing to leave the stage in disgrace. I'd left it just backstage after fidgeting with it in my nervousness (playing Ponp and Circumstance at a graduation with 3 weeks of playing time under my belt - not for the timid!) I was so nervous and shaken there was vibrato on every note and I got dead air on the very first note because my mouth was really dry after my faux pas.

Of course, audiences not being musicians, everyone had positive comments and I'll be doing it regularly.

I don't regret it a bit. If you want to tell stories, you've got to take chances.

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Any time I play in church, if there are any "clams" or any other slight deviance from perfection that I hear but others may not, I always tell people that I have to throw in a few mistakes or people will think i am showing off.

3. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Our Faculty Brass Quintet had an afternoon formal concert at Coe College in Iowa and the day before I was in the fields with my German Shorthair Pointer in field trials. On the way to the recital, I asked if anyone in the quintet had some chapstix I could use for I had some dry chops. The other trumpet player had an extra and gave it to me. It was a different brand than what I was used to but I used it anyway. As we got closer to show time I noticed that my lips were swelling and continued to swell as we mounted the stage. I was able to play half way down the first chart and that was the end of my playing that day. My lips reacted to this new lip ointment and I could not get another note out. We had to end our performance after playing one number. To add insult to injury, they insisted that we stay for the reception they had planned for us.

It was a very quiet ride back to our campus. We also lost a lot of money for the program.
    The moral of the story “Don’t try new medications before a concert”.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I never make a mistake when I play jazz... this I know... Miles Davis says so... So it is... So What?

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Shucks. I always thought a mistake in church was forgiven ... or was its purpose to keep the congregation awake.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When one plays jazz like you do ... who would know if it was a mistake or an intended note.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ed... Thanks... I think.

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    While not my own disappointing moment, I was at a large church in PA. They had a guy ( wont give his name) who played lead for Buddy Rich several years later sight reading the Easter accompaniment with the choir-seems like with a flute, violin, and couple of other instruments. It was soft, very, very exposed, and on the flugelhorn. All nonmelody- tonal stuff. Apparently the person that wrote the horn part had no idea the flugel was in Bb. Every single note for the horn was wrong. Every note. There was nothing the horn player could do to even guess what he should be playing. Surprisingly, he played exactly what was on the paper, every note, didn't even wince. I had hauled my father along to see him because of his great playing ability. Dad is still wondering how he could have ever made it in a big band, yet alone on lead.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    that's priceless!!! Rofl

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Just paraphrasing the quote of another jazz player who said he didn't know what was next, did anyone.