most disappointing trumpet moment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Dec 5, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Then I will get a lot of forgiveness this Sunday! "Leader" moved the date on a song scheduled for February (which means we ain't been practicing!) to this Sunday. Only Divine intervention (and the volume cranked WAAAAAY UP mixed heavy to the bass) will keep this from being a train wreck.

2. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Well your only ever a half step out no matter what ! : )

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    EITHER WAY (mistakes or heavy bass) the congregation will be awake by the end.

I feel your pain. I wish our church would decide on a list before the last week. We have a lot of stuff to choose from, but all decisions seem to be last minute. Luckily, most of it is not that hard. Still, I prefer to over-rehearse than to scramble to get everything comfortable. Our Christmas concert is coming up the 15th and 16th. I am almost ready now, should be good by performance time.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    What's gonna make it a train wreck is that it's one of those songs where the "trumpet" on the recording is a synth trumpet. Everything is written above E in the staff, and most is above it! The songs 5 minutes long with little rest, maybe 2-3 measures at most and there's lot's of syncopation. The "saving grace is there are many dissonant chords throughout, so...... . We could do it justice if we had the time to prepare. :-(

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm now practicing for songs I'd like to perform in 2050.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Can I reserve you for taps at my funneral?

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    What's the date you're going to die?

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Toby, you do realize that in 2050 I'd be 114 years old if I were alive then ... but that's the ultimate optimism on my part, but it's my conjecture that good music is everlasting ... and not to say I wouldn't like to be able to perform them well by then, but I really think others then would have to only listen to my CDs in the archives of my decendants if by then they were still playable and a player could be found. I prophesize that by then that 100 songs or 10 complete operas or 25 symphonies can be recorded on a microchip imbedded in a token the size of a present dime and the audio playback would equal that of the most renown music hall.

9. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    One year in high school I was playing the Messiah (1st trumpet), and then the "solo" came... and my valve got stuck.

Next year in high school I was playing the Messiah once again. I was getting really tired, and I was afraid I miss it. So I told asked the 2nd trumpet to play it. (d'oh) And of course he messed it up. And guess who got blamed for "screwing up the solo"? ME!

As long as I don't have sticky valves or ask somebody else to do it, it works out great, though....

Once, I was playing a recital, with the Arutunian as the finale. My chops were TOAST. Anyway, I got to the end of the cadenza... you know how part that can be tough if you're fried. Well, I pressed forward and played the last little double-tonguing high bit (A-A-G-G-F#-F#-G-G-A-A-Bb) an octave DOWN! It would have been better to go for it and miss the partials, honestly....

10. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    By when?

[​IMG]

Attached Files: