most disappointing trumpet moment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Dec 5, 2012.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I stand behind every note that I have ever played, good or bad. I was disappointed about not getting paid anything for a wedding for a very rich couple though....... Had I known before the service, I could have made their cheapness more memorable.........................

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    That is rather hard to fathom. Even assuming that they were your friends, the proper thing would be to offer payment, and let you decide whether to accept. Anything less reeks of poor manners.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Our Concert Band did a streetside carols "performance" last night - culminating in the Mayor lighting the Christmas tree. Large crowd this time, many mixed religions (apparently) in the crowd, judging by their dress. The band had touched on the conventional carols charts during rehearsal - many of the charts arranged by Ed Wilson (of the Daly-Wilson Big Band) and charts we had played regularly - relatively easy charts. Finished the set-up, chairs, stands, sound system, and then the music was handed out - a different book, in march pack format, very small black things on a distant page, and full of repeats and D.C at Al, customers request (and it was a pay job) .................... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Wasn't going well, everyone struggling a bit and everything very very wooden.

Decision made - we finished with those silly little books, reached for the normal charts, much bigger, repeats written out in full, large white paper presentation that fitted the pegs, our rehearsed pieces with a bit of swing - and the crowd came alive. Good outcome - b**ger the customer, yay for the audience, let's see if we get paid - community Christmas offering if we don't..

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  4. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    I have missed a high note or two or three in public. However my most embarrassing musical moment came while playing the keyboard at a holiday concert. I teach band/string and classroom music at an arts magnet school. For a few years I also had a primary chorus. I play keyboard fairly well but play totally by ear. I introduced the song the kids were about to sing,(Santa Claus Is Coming To Town) I sat down and played the wrong song. 50 kids stared at me with frozen looks on their faces until I realized what happened. There were about 500 people in the audience soI quickly made a joke about having a senior moment.I was about 54 at the time, most of the audience laughed.Live and learn.

5. watchguy44

watchguy44 Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2010
    Illinois
    Running late for a jazz gig, just cleaned the darn horn, got there with less than 2 minutes to set up, take my horn out, about to play a nice arrangement of Fantasy by Earth, Wind, and Fire....only to find out on trying to play the first note my valves are in wrong!
    1st in the 3rd slot, 2nd in 1st slot....trying to play like that was hilariously embarrassing. :oops:

6. melza

melza Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2010
    Australia
    Just yesterday I was going to play happy birthday and my trumpet had been in a very hot car, without thinking I just pulled it out of the car and started playing, notes went everywhere, extremely out of tune. Lucky it was just my dad!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Betcha it sounded HOT!

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    now that is what I got to do ---- Just spoke to my friend who wants me to play for a fundraising event at her church at the end of january ---- I think if I play GM's song that he wrote for ME, (ie. Midnight in Tuscany), I can "jazz" it up a bit, even though it's a ballad, or just play it ----- and on the bright side the song sounds good anyhow, and NOBODY will know if it is wrong ---except me!!! YEAH, that is great.

to the original question --- about 15 or so years ago, I wrote a cool song --and wrote that song up to a High D (which was my range -- well, on an EXCELLENT DAY) -- and I was in church to perform my OWN SONG ---- and I was having an OFF day, nothing came out good at all ---- I failed miserably, and worse off, since I was so well loved by everyone --- they applauded!!!!!! (( and that was bad -- cause everyone knew what I could play, and that night, I pretty much could play nothing right at all)) ---------------I guess that is WHY I HATE DOING SOLOS ON STAGE BY MYSELF ----- but yeah, I just volunteered for my friend to be on stage (ALL ALONE) with me, my trumpet, trombone, flugle, Eb ---- whatever I take ----but seriously thinking of doing a duet with both the trumpet, and switching back and forth with the trombone (((just because I can --and who else can do that at a fundraiser????)))) ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I dunno--I forgot them all! Might happen tomorrow, though.

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Good for you,VB! As a trumpet player, you've got be like a ball player, bad game? We'll get'em next time.:oops: