most disappointing trumpet moment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Dec 5, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    uh oh -- even making it huge doesn't often helpROFL ROFL ROFL

2. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Well, I think this one has jinxed me. Was asked by Pastor to do a short fanfare as a leadin to the Children's part of the service( Think the old Imperial margerine commercial). One to lead in, and one to finish. first one went great, aimed cross sanctuary front. Second was a change position( angle of attack) and point into congregation. Well, when I changed the angle of attack, I forgot to reset.....result, a total CLAM. i went ahead and reset and got it out the second time. Talk about EMBARASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll::-o:-o:dontknow::-(:oops:

3. melza

melza Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2010
    Australia
    rofl

4. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
    I have forgotten most of my many public errors. However, there is one glaring - that almost caused me to question everything. My junior recital started with Martini's Toccata for piccolo trumpet and organ. Great arrangement. Nothing but 4 pages of sixteenth notes. For effect, I was perched on a platform by the organ pipes. In the dark hall, the pipe belched out a low "D" and caused my stand light filament to vibrate loose - Thus leaving in me in total darkness, I trooped on...but it was a dismal fail.

Needless to say, the rest of my recital was spent trying to recover. The interesting thing is I saw a tape of it 25 years later...and it wasn't near as horrible as I thought.
    Stuff happens!

5. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    Well, i was in Yoshi's San Francisco, and it was the first time i had ever been there. I had flown over with a band. Anyway, on stage in front of my whole band and the audience AND the SOTA band (SF school of the arts), i fell and dropped my trumpet. I screwed the bell up so bad. I have it fixed now, but it was so dinged. I reckon every single pipe had a ding on that thing.

Pretty damn embarrasing.

6. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    Mine was a long time ago (30+ years) when I was in 8th grade summer music school. First solo ever and it was on A String of Pearls, simplified but similar to the original Hackett solo. I played it ok in rehersals but was very nervous for the the performance. When it was time for the solo, I stood up to play but no notes came out of the trumpet. Tried again but same result, so I sat down. :cry:

Thankfully, I've never had a repeat of that experience.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    -C- You are in great company. I attended every Maynard concert that was in our area over about 30 years. There were a few times when Maynard would go to play and nothing came out. He covered well. Usually removing the horn with both arms spread eagle and a big smile on his face, slightly shaking his head up and down. Acted just like he had nailed it. Most of the time, the audience never knows.

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    The one thing I remember is marcing out in front of the Munich University Symphony orchestra for a recital of the Torelli concerto... and then finding I had left my mouthpiece behind... Had to run into the dressing room and fetch it, with 1800 of an audience waiting... Aarrgh!

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Look at my quote at the bottom of my signature. That was from my high school band director. He said it about once a week, or more.......LOL.