most disappointing trumpet moment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Dec 5, 2012.

1. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Biggest disappointment? Last night when I video-taped myself on my i-phone playing a trumpet solo. Hopefully, after my depression wears, I will learn from my "mistakes" and carry on.

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Vern, you need to move on quickly and employ every trumpeters 'attitudinal gene' - you know, the one that tells you that you ARE the best. Wait a couple of months and video tape yourself playing the same piece - now compare the two, and rejoice at your progress. You NEED the early video to validate the progress.

I don't have a phone that does anything other than allow phone calls - so I have to do MY comparison from memory. I used to use Danny Boy as the reference piece, I'm now using the trumpet solo from My Way. I plan to move on to the 4th trumpet solo in Battle Hymn of the Republic when the high notes become mine.

3. melza

melza Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2010
    Australia
    "Vern, you need to move on quickly and employ every trumpeters 'attitudinal gene' - you know, the one that tells you that you ARE the best"
    If it wasn't for this attitude I would have given up long ago! Hahaha

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Second best... After all I am a trumpet player too with the same genes.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Well ...... 3rd best, if it comes down to tin tacks, really.

6. Bauerbear

Bauerbear Mezzo Piano User

Jul 11, 2012
    Winter Park, FL
    So in my senior year of high school, we’re playing Carmina Burana by Carl Orph. We’re playing 13 of the 25 movements so there’s a good mix.

In movement 21: In Trutina, there is a duet of sorts between the soprano voice (oboe) and the alto/tenor voice (trumpet:me). If you haven’t heard it before played by a wind ensemble, the solo goes up to a top staff F, piano (p), then has a dramatic pause and continues playing that note pianissimo crescendoing to mezzo piano.

Needless to say, I came back in fuzzy after the dramatic pause, which was bad because the note was either a whole note or a dotted half and really slow to the next change of note that cleared things up. Plus I’m really exposed because I’m the only instrument playing until the end of the piece…no background instruments.

It burns me to this day. So to make up for my past sins, I play the solo as a warm up before orchestra practice. :huh:

7. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    It is amazing that a great performance is quickly forgotten, but a bad one lasts forever. At least in our own minds.

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I've got a new worst moment - just happened this Christmas. I was supposed to play 1st trp in the Vivaldi Double Concerto, and we had decided to play it on our F hooters (He's got a Selmer, I've got a Strad). Wonderful sound together, but...
    I had only the day before the performance re-greased the main tuning slide, and, nothing else being to hand, had used Bötel's Trombone Slide Cream. And at the first note, the tuning slide popped out and landed in the audience (we were playing on a rather tight organ loft...)
    Fortunately the slide landed in an old lady's felt hat and was not damaged... She even brought it up to the organ loft.
    And even more fortunately, I never leave home without a spare horn, so I finished the recital on my Scherzer G. But still, it was a horrible moment!!!

9. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Oops!

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    uhm, duplicate post ----- in my egotistic attitude, I typed TWICE AS FAST AS ANY OF YOU BLOKES could ever hope too ----- and TM, was so slow, it did my post twice ---- so I deleted one for all of the "less confident" typists out there --- ROFL ROFL ROFL

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013