Most effective warm-up?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by soundhorns, Dec 8, 2012.

1. soundhorns

soundhorns New Friend

Nov 11, 2012
    East Coast
    Hey everyone,
    I'm new to this forum and new to the trumpet as well (about a year)! I found that being a server at night allows me 1.5 to 2 hours a day practicing but I also found that I have 'good' days and 'bad' days. I'm wondering if my practice routine should be worked on a little. I typically start with Schlossberg # 5 #7 # 11 and #11a. Next, I slowly slur # 12. If I feel any strain on the third line I stop and go back to slurring # 11. Next I jump to exercise # 36 and slowly do the page. I move onto Clarke next. I'll do Etude V (Play the whole page in one breath) ((obviously taking a line at a time and perfecting it)).
    After that I move onto the assignments my teacher assigned which usually consist of lots of Arban's and then a duet or two.

Just a little curious about two things. One, any suggestions to my warmup? Secondly, I've read that some people prefer a very lax set of warm ups that change day-to-day while others stick to the same warm-up everyday. Which camp do most people here belong to? Thanks again!

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    This is a bit of a YMMV thing. You could ask 6 different trumpet players and get 6 different answers. As a developing player though, I suggest lots of long tones, soft slurring, buzzing and what you are doing now. I would share mine, but it is a bit taboo. Do what works, get a lesson teacher to help you find the one that is best for you.

3. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Although my warm-ups do change, in essence they are basically all the same - long tones, arpeggio work, lip slurs and intervals development.

You're always going to be changing your warm-up due to your needs and development as player. Just experiment and see what works for you.

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I will take it that you are doing a daily practice routine you've outlined.

So there are 2 warm-ups I do.
    The first is for home, before the daily practice, get the horn and give a dab of oil to all valves, then start with long tones, then work through all the Major scales and minors. Then some appegios. Then play tunes and items I am wanting to practice, technical practice, then finish off with some tunes to feel happy,

My warm-up for a gig, is a low C to Hi C and down again, check tuning, and then ready to run. It is mainly just to ensure all is well, horn, lips and ear, fingers etc - all set. Then if there is more time maybe some pedals, harmonic slurs and appegios just to keep ready.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The most effectice warm up is the one that gets you to the best control of the start of the performance. And if you have a good start, odds are you will have good endurance until the end of the performance, as long as you are well paced. So what is that magical pearl of a warm up? It is as varied as there are trumpet players.

I use what works for me and gets me out of the gate with the EBQ. But that is what works for me.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    lips slurs?? yuck, who ever likes those out of the gate??? I do long tones (depending on the day) -- mostly in the staff for at least 5 or 10 minutes. I like to do a chromatic scale from the G on top of the staff to the low F# at the bottom a few times. a few arrpeggios. then perhaps a few slurs!! ------ on the other hand when I go to community band, I like to talk to the cute saxophone chicks (there are 2 of them in band, cute and in their mid 20's ---- me being a lonely old Geezer,and twice their age - just a few minutes of communication gets me warmed up ---- something soothing about talking with cute women ------ and luckily, I somehow passed that age where I am old enough to be their father, and they treat me nicely!!!!! yeah, like GM says ----Whatever works for you!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    My favorite warmups are Arturo Sandoval's in Vol. 3, page 7 of "Playing Technique & Performance Studies for Trumpet" by A.S.
    and
    Clarke's study #1 and Setting Up Drills
    Chromatic Scales
    Major Scales going up to the 9th (4X) taken to E above high C

Work for a continuous tone, equality of sound for every note. In a warmup we are trying to develop a "feel". This "feel" is more than just in the lip, it's also in the embouchure muscles and ever to sum extent in the blowing muscles.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Now I'm getting curious as to what length of time does it take a player to warm up and be ready to play?

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    some days -- when I play a lot during the week -- I almost ALWAYS FEEL READY ----------then earlier today after having some "heavy duty" workouts this week trying to get my latest CD up to snuff (before I send it out to some friends --nothing pro here) -- I merely did a half hour of easy stuff, and TODAY WONT BE A GREAT DAY for the trumpet, at least not on anything higher than the staff, so I am just taking it easy ------- and hit it hard again tomorrow, or the next day!!!

BUT USUALLY 10 minutes -- but then again, I play almost everyday --- trumpet and trombone -- 1 1/2 to 2 hours each day --- somtimes longer!!!!

10. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Anywhere from a few minutes (10-20) to in Doc Severinsen's case, hours. When you get a free vibration going throughout your entire range. I recommend getting into the upper register quickly when warming up. Too many players spend too much time warming up only in the low register, especially in the pedal register that by the time they're ready to play their lips are so relaxed that they can't get any grip for the upper register. Begin warmup like the great Rafael Mendez softly, breathing into the horn not forcing but rather coaxing the lip to vibrate. Once that's accomplished the rest of the warmup should be played at a normal mezzo forte to forte level.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012