Most effective warm-up?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by soundhorns, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I like the Heimat tone concept of Gerald Webster.

Gerald Webster discovered that when we play a medium high, medium low, medium loud tone on our mouthpiece first thing in the day, the same pitch will come out, our personal "home" tone, or Heimat tone (he discovered this while touring with Edward Tarr in Germany, thus the name). "Personal" means just that, each person has his/her own Heimat tone -- there is no "good," "bad" or "ideal." Just play your first tone of the day on your mouthpiece for a few days, check your pitch with a piano or your trumpet, and you've got your own personal Heimat tone.

Some players start their warm-ups on c below the staff, then work their way upwards, but that makes any thing above c below the staff a more or less a high note. Rather than starting in the lower register, consider starting at your personal Heimat tone and expanding from there. That gives us the feeling of having more low tones to play, and fewer high ones to struggle for. After a couple minutes of expanding from the Heimat tone, you should be in pretty good shape to play.

Oh, and welcome to TM!

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    when I used to practice and play 4+ hours a day I Claude Gordon's worked great.. 10 minutes... but now my play time is limited. I use the Vizzutti Book one warm up's .. about 20 minutes.

3. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Everybody has a different take on warm ups. Some people insist they need to do one, some people insist they don't need ANY warmup, and other opinions fall on a spectrum in between.
    I need to warmup. I know this because if I don't warm up, I can only last about 10 minutes, then I can't play anymore....my chops go into a kind of shocked state and just won't work right.

What a warm up should be:

-as the name implies, a warm up is a routine that should be designed to warm up the various organs, processes, limbs, and muscles needed to play properly

-it should be slow: if you ran the 1/4 in Olympic competition, you wouldn't go out for practice, take off your warmups and immediately run a full blown 1/4 mile would you? If you did, you'd probably hurt yourself...same principal with the trumpet warm up. We want slowly get the muscles in our embouchure, hands, etc. working. The blood flowing.

-it should be distinct from practice: the warm up should be a routine set of exercises that is repeated daily and is meant to warm up, these should not be regarded as practice, the goal is to warm up not improve one's playing with the warm up

What a warm up should consist of:

- my warm up is about 15 minutes

- do chromatics to get the fingers moving and concentrate on breathing and air flow

- next, major and minor scales (also in thirds)

- lip slurs (working slow to medium)

- articulated intervallic -- octave-maj7th-octove-min7th-octave-Maj6th-octaive -- etc for a few scales (change the scales around day to day)

This usually gets me warm for the day. I might then do a few quick chromatic scales up to high C or E just to make sure I feel good and warm.

bigtiny

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    My own answer to how much time it takes depends on how fast I can play a chromatic scale ascending from C1 to C3 and descending from C3 to C1. It is my assessment of these results that determines if I need a longer warm-up. A factor that interfaces is the warmth of the instrument and mouthpiece. Really! The crucial element IMO is the set of your embouchure, and I've times ... even days, that it never sets well.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Of course, cuddling up close to that cute bar keep at Little E's on those cold Pittsburgh evenings isn't such a bad warm up idea either.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    "Dear Mrs. Onady,

I am sad and shocked to inform you of certain behavior displayed by your "faithful" husband at a bar called "Little E's" in Pittsburgh. It involves your husband and an ugly barkeep with a great personality......"

Small bills, unmarked please.

Although it might depend if you were warming up your fingers or your lips.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yeah, she told me, she had to cut that "old geezer" trumpet player off at 2 gin and tonics, otherwise he gets a little Frisky, and he is prone to speak foreign languages with his Russian Fingers, and his Roman eyes -- ROFL ROFL ROFL

today -- I tried the DATRUMP method ---and didn't do the usual low note warm-ups, but instead just played notes from the middle C to the high C to warm up ----- and ACTUALLY the DATRUMP method yielded the same results, so perhaps, I remained WARMED UP from the previous day -----NOW I am thinking that maybe some of the PRO trumpet players on TM (who can't get to their gigs ahead of time) might have something here ---- maybe if you get good enough, you dont' need to warm up!!!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Distal appendages... Yeah that's it... distal appendages ONLY! So the letter gets retracted... RIGHT?:shhh:

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Now I'm beginning to think I shouldn't meet you someday at Little E's. I don't want to be tagged as a co-conspirator by my wife or yours. Too, if I drank any whisky, it's a 15 minute drive to Mercy or Presbyterian Hospital and that's when its not rush hour or heavily snowing. Some of my meds and alcohol don't mix. Still the catfish sandwich you'll buy me is tempting.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And you can get that catfish warmed up by the bar keep too, once we return from the ER to pump that stomach... And mum's the word as non of the little ladies will be any the wiser.