Most effective warm-up?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by soundhorns, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    You mean like flagella?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    ...doing the breast stroke

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Now back to our regular scheduled programming. :D I was in the same boat as you several years ago and like Bigtiny, if I didn't warm-up, I was toast very soon. I found the "Trumpet Warm-Ups" by Walter Moeck to be the ticket for me. He discusses the purpose of a warm-up and the importance of resting between exercises. I still use it to this day although I have shortened the time interval so now it only takes me 15 minutes vs. 25 as he suggested. Catalog # 080-0131-24 through most any music store.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    :thumbsup:

However, it really is not a derailment of a thread when the discussion is between said member and a moderator of such high regard. But move on we must.

And I stick to my generalization is that you cannot prescribe a warm up where one size fits all. It is truly a very personal exercise depending on the level of the performer and the goal of the performance.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Tis true! Many pro players need little warm-up and could play what's outlined in the Moeck plan in minutes. Even Moeck's plan has a "suggested" procedure.

6. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    How do you know this? Most of the pro players I talk to and read interviews with, advocate a good warmup. I mean the sentence "Many pro players ......" can be used to say just about anything and never really MEAN anything.
    Also, using a good warmup or even, NEEDING a good warmup is not a sign of weakness or amateurishness. And if you think they are REALLY a bad idea....go talk to Freddie Hubbard...

bigtiny

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Okay, I'll rephrase so there is some meaning. Many pro players that I know from personal face to face encounters (i.e., in person) and personal communiques (be it e-mail, blog, text messaging, even telephone (both land lines and cell varieties)) inform me that they need little warm-up and could play what's outlined in the Moeck plan in minutes. Most of these cats (i.e., players of trumpets, not to be confused with Playas of you know...) never cool down enough between playing to need the 25 minutes outlined in the Moeck plan. There was a "testy" discussion of this many moons ago with some of the pros that participate in this site saying, "I pull out the horn and play". If they read this, maybe they will chime in and add further meaning. I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that I think warm-ups are a bad idea when I plainly stated that I too use a warm-up plan.:huh::huh::huh::?::?::?:

8. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    I use a mix of long tone and lip slur studies I have pulled together to suit my needs, all with rest periods. I do customize things based on the day's events (practice only, gig later in day, length of gig, etc.) and the feedback I receive (ears, hands, chops, etc.).

9. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Tobylou8 - wasn't trying to start a brawl with my response =:-) As I said in my original post, everybody seems to have their own requirements for warmups. I was only commenting the generality of your comment (I think there's a lot of miscommunication that happens online because of over-generalized comments). And mea culpa on the last part...I wasn't really trying to say that YOU thought they were a bad idea, but after reading your statement about a lot of pro players not needing a warmup, I felt like somebody could interpret the tone of your post to be poo pooing the idea of warmups by 'serious' or 'pro' players. I'm not saying that that was your intention, merely what might happen.

Anyway, once again, I think the original poster got the question answered and plenty of good ideas for warmups!

ciao,

bigtiny

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    And one whose initials could be "WW" would say no warm up necessary, ever, by anyone. You know who I mean, Doc?