Most effective warm-up?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by soundhorns, Dec 8, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Not a problem. We're on the same page!

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I know who you mean and another with "similar" initials but I'm not sure if it would be prudent! ROFL

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Does "WW" stand for "Wascally Wabbit?" Back in the day, Laurence Morehouse, exercise physiology guru at UCLA did some studies on "warming up" for runners and discovered that some simple stretching did as much as a "warm up." For me, the warm up is more for my head than my chops.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Whhhell I's believe it does... twuly

Quit simply... I LOVE to stretch runners! But I gotta catch em first!!!

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I believe our Brother Vulgano answered this much better than I ever could. He is a moderator you know... I on the other hand am just a moderate.

6. soundhorns

soundhorns New Friend

Nov 11, 2012
    East Coast
    Thanks all!
    Wanted to mention that I've been trying to just hold long tones beginning on line g and going down for the past few days. It works nicely and gets me set up for my normal practice. Wanted to mention I tried the Stamp method of 'bending' notes for about a month. At first I thought it was great but quickly realized for some reason I tired faster and I couldn't firmly hit the higher notes I once was able to hit (for me it's G/G# above the staff). Thanks again and I wanted to mention that sifting through past threads a ton of questions have been answered!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The Online G is what Cat Anderson recommends as the starting point... so you are in good company.

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I refuse to add to that, on the grounds that it might tend to incriminate me. And that is that.
    I think it would be wise to quit now, while I'm still ahead.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The G or C below it, I think such is a personal choice. Hunkering in to a piano accompaniment, I'd start my chromatic ascending run on a D most likely.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I at first thought that WW was for WILEY COYOTE --- but then I realized on another thread that I posted that I get my letters confused.. I confuse G's with C's, and now apparently I confuse my W's with C's. By the way, does anyone know where the Double High W is on the trumpet, it sounds like a C to me!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL