Most effective warm-up?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by soundhorns, Dec 8, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Did a little bird tell you this (maybe a "Robin")? ROFL

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I think if you were WISE, you would come up with a whole different scenario than the information you could get from a Robin!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL ---- just my thoughts!!!!

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The Robin knows where the key to the Secret Garden is....

4. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Making music is the most effective warm up :)

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    But Batman keeps a few secrets from Robin, remember that!

6. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Back to our regularly scheduled program…… My face and chops determine my warm-up. If I’m playing consecutive nights then my warm up is short and pretty relaxed. It doesn’t take much to warm up a race car in between heats. On the other hand if I’m really cold from playing I will warm up hours before the show for about 15 minutes, nice and easy, then within a half hour of the start I will re-warm up and really stretch out the muscles this time. During the sound check is a good time for me to do this, a couple good burnouts if ya know what I mean. It reminds the sound guy to compress my horn mic so I don’t peak out the board : ) Oh YEAH !!! :D

7. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    and this is a good point. When I warm up it's not just for my chops, but also to get my breathing coordinated, my facial muscles moving, my tongue moving, all of those physical parts that are involved with trumpet playing. I've always done this, but I must admit, lately (I'm 54 now) a lot of this is really needed now for me to get kind of 'slotted' to play...

bigtiny

8. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Oh...and the other thing to remember is not to OVER warm up! Don't develop an hour long warm routine, or try to do 15 minutes worth of warmups in 5 minutes.

When I was at Berklee, I heard Phil Wilson telling another faculty member a story:

The trombone player from the band Chicago (Pankow?) had called Phil with a problem. He had recently started tightening up his playing and practice regimen after kind of
    drifting for a few years. He had been reading about the importance (to some) of using a good warm up routine. Since then, he had been warming up, practicing his method stuff,
    and doing all of this normal playing with Chicago and whatever else he did. He had noticed though that he was getting tired very quickly (his embouchure) and that no matter how much
    and how diligently he practiced, he couldn't seem to shake this weak chops thing.

After talking to him for a few minutes and asking questions, it came out that Pankow was doing an hour long warmup with little rest. Phil suggested to him that this may be the problem and
    that if he had an hour to warmup, fine, he should try doing 1/2 of his current 1 hour warmup in the same time....

Two weeks later the phone rings and Pankow's all smiles...apparantly this adjustment fixed him right up.

bigtiny

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OK Tobylou, here is where you come in with your Avatar (and comment) with that "slap" that drives this point home.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    By the way... Bigtny's advice is right on and cuts to the chase of the points I was trying to make... It's very personal and veriable... and if you listen to what your body is telling you... as to where it is currently in time... and coordinate this to where you want your body to go... then this should guide your warm up well.