Most Embarrasing Show...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HSOtrumpet1, Jan 4, 2009.

1. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    Not being very old yet, I've already made one really embarrassing mistake.:-( On the last three notes of Bach 1st Symphony Movement 1, I was way behind the orchestra. It was almost like an echo! Now, I have to listen to the echo every time I want to hear the recording :bash:. What got me thinking about starting a thread like this was the one that was the most memorable one! Everyone has a good show, but what about the ones where you sounded terrible! What happened during your worst show? Did you have a cold or something? Did your condensation key get stuck and then you gurgled throughout the whole solo? Or did you just SPLAT a high note at a key point in the song? What made you bomb the piece? I'd actually be really interested... If you have any tips on how NOT to do what you did to mess up the concert! I know I should have been looking at the conductor so I should have known how fast to speed up the piece.
    - HSO

2. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    one time i showed up to an orchestra concert with no pants...got some funny looks sitting there in my tidy-whities, but i was in the back row so it wasn't a big deal :dontknow:

3. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    hmmm, I showed up for an orchestra concert with no shoes once and borrowed someones spare black socks and I don't think anyone noticed. But my worst blooper was leaving out a passage in a Mozart work broadcast live on national radio. The saving grace was it was a work which a local composer had finished (might have been Mozarts unfinished requiem), so maybe no-one listening realised there should have been a trumpet playing at that point!

4. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    We were opening a show with Copeland's " Fanfre for the common Man", as the trumpets did their fanfare. The pit we were playing in was rising, with the only stage light being on the conductor. The effect would have been awesome except for one thing. The lead trumpet palyer's chair (that would be me) got caught in the A/C vent. As we rose from the pit the only sound that could be heard was:

Pow, Pow, Pow, Pow as the back of my chair hit each slat in the metal vent. By the time we got to the top. The back of my chair and it's legs where touching and I was playing on a significant incline........

5. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Elijah. Fake ending. Supposed to be complete silence. Except when I played. Yeah.

6. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Jason Boddie...

That's freaking hilarious!!!! Good on you to keep playing, though! If it were me there would've been a stream of expletives to accompany the banging of the chair on the AC vent!!

7. patdublc

patdublc Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    I was playing a local theater production of "Thoroughly Modern Millie". Just before the end of the first act, the piano player hit the wrong key on the synth and threw in some very loud hip hop type of beat. The pit was fairly dark so she cut the power when she couldn't figure out what happened and Millie continued singing accapella. I tried to remain calm as we picked up to finish the first act. I reached the high D just before the end and celebrated a little early before crossing the goal line. When I attacked the Bb on the end, it was like "spleaaaggghhhackackurga" and then a Bb. Angry, I popped the stinger up an octave.
    But, here is the really embarassing part - during intermission, a bass player who was in the audience came up to me and said, "man, you really had to look around for that last note, didn't you?". A bass player. That's right, a bass player called me out for missing it.

8. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I've never played at a professional level, so I don't have any really great stories. But I have always been a nervous wreck when I have to solo in front of an auditorium full of people. In junior college I had a flugel solo that I played ok, but I trying so hard not to be nervous that my dad said it looked like I was going to fall asleep. I watched the tape later and agreed. In between playing I would just slump down. At the moment I thought I was just relaxing - no idea I looked like a wierdo.

In church the other night, I showed up late due to some family issues and missed the first piece. Turned out the changed up the last two measures, slowing down to half temp following the leader. I was all excited b/c I got to end on a high note (the director likes to let the rhythm section take us out) that I played as written. I was down belting out most of the little fanfare when I realized he was directing us note by note, so I just let my sound die out quickly. Then hid behind my music stand. lol

9. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    High school jazz band performance last year. Conductor called a tune and I started playing a different arrangement from a different book that was in a different key.

I thought I was just totally lost and I didn't realize what was happening til the end of the song.

THAT was bad.

10. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    Funniest moment for me musically was last month during combo rehearsal. Our bass player was away so I decided to play tuba to cover it. We tried a new samba fusion piece with unusual chords and each time we played it I had the feeling something was wrong but the sax player and guitarist thought it was fine. Then I twigged I was playing the wrong piece of music entirely. Just goes to show what you can get away with on a bass. instrument!

and I forgot....... at the last big band gig I sat down to rest during a piece and sat on the power chord to the keyboard and pulled it out. Frantic gesticulations from the keyboardist were needed to get me to realise what had happened and plug it back in.