Most Embarrasing Show...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HSOtrumpet1, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    The ending on one of our Orchestra pieces was written like this:

Rest 1/4 note Rest 1/4note Rest Whole note.

What I played:

1/4 note Rest Sh!t Sorry! (everybody heard this).........whole note.

2. habitatchad

habitatchad Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2008
    Clinton, TN
    In marching band we played a Stan Kenton Cuban Fire show. Malagunea was our big finale. Let me set the scene for you. It was a competition, it was 90 degrees, we had the real cool polyester uniforms with the pants that nearly came to your chin and the jacket that went to your waist. In the opening measures I played high d, e flat, f twice then on the walk back down the notes things started getting black. I dont remember playing the last d but it did it was on the tape, then I hit the ground. I woke up halfway through the song and ran to my spot and finished the show. On he last note we were in a trangle and the guard had his huge flag that covered the entire field. It didn't unroll, it took out the entire band. We found a sousaphone on the back sideline. This was definately the most embarasing show ever. To bad the tapes were audio only, it would be fun to laugh at now.

3. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Once I grabed my Mom's panths off the top of the dryer thinking they where mine and I forgott my black sock's. This is pre cell phone days. Lucky for me my Mom realized what I had done and made it to the show just early enough for me to change. I had been walking around the band room and worming up with pants that where about 2 feet too short for me and white sock's with dress shoe's. The rest of my band geek friends teased me about that for year's to come. I was able to change inthe band room to whistles and cat calls fromt he girls and the guys 5 minutes before we took the stage! I had athletics after school and had to pack my clothes for the concert so I could change after athletics where over and walk down the road to school.

One time I sat down in a chair on risers and had a bad feeling about it. The chair did not feel solid at all. I weighted all of 140-150lbs and I was playing a tuba. Half way through the performance the chair broke and dumped me off the back of the risers on to the ground in the video you hear what I can only describe as the death call of an Elaphant as I was still trying to play on my way to the ground. I protected my Tuba though it did not get so much as a scratch. So I got right up and a stage hand held on to my tuba for me as i jumped onto the riser's. I took my place standing up and continued to play. I got kind of lucky in a way. It was winter and all the people that where working the curtains and lights and setting up the riser's had tossed their fluffy jackets behind the riser's so while not as soft as a cushion it did help take some of the sting out of the fall.

One time I was in intermediate band that much I recall. I was normaly the person choosen to give the pitch if my teacher did not feel like walking over to the piano. So I was known for haveing close to perfect pitch. So one week I was palying out of tune all week no matter what I did nothing seemed to work for long and I was out of tune again. Finaly my teacher said to me after class "John what is the matter with you are you sick or something or something wrong at home?????". I said "No why do you ask?". It was becasue I had been playing out of tune all week long. So finaly she said to me "Can I see your trumpet?" and I said "sure". Come to find out both water key's where leaking. So I left my trumpet their with her and the next day when I came to band practice it had new water key springs and corks! She plaid just like new. Up to that point all I had ever done is wash my trumpet and and oila nd grease it. I had no idea that cork's and springs could wear out and leak and cause tuneing issues etc....So now when ever I pick up a brassinstrument that not mine the first thing's I check are water key corks and valve action.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  4. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    At our jazz concert for Christmas last month, we played two tunes, the director announced the third one at least two or three times, and I subconciously switched it to the first one we played! It didn't register that I had seen this piece of music recently or that he announced a different piece. I even started playing the wrong song! But I realized after about two notes that I was off, and I discreetly flipped the page. No one actually knew what happened, but I was embarassed.

5. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    It is funny the silly stuff we remember!

6. YamaMan

YamaMan Pianissimo User

Nov 29, 2008
    Once I was playing a little two-measure filler (completely unaccompanied) towards the beginning of Weary Blues at a concert. I had a little fun, easy thing planned, but what came out was two notes followed by a measure and a half of.... Well, I don't know what it was, but it didn't sound like a trumpet!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  7. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    I´m 25 years old and I´ve just got my new Selmer piccolo trumpet!
    I`m now a piccolo trumpeter. THE piccolo trumpeter!

My friend who is a music teacher/choir leader writes a choir piece for xmas.
    He thinks (at that time) that it would be nice to have someone play a little
    piccolo trumpet in this piece at the xmas concert. Guess who . . .

Now, the grandmaster of piccolo (me!) hasn´t really got the chops for piccolo
    yet, but that´s just a minor issue . . .

CONCERT! DISASTER!
    High notes/other notes do not come at all, and on top of it my boss is watching
    the show! His kind words afterwords can not take any of the shame of my face!
    I can still feel all this in my gut when I think of it . . .

:-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(