Most memorable Taps performance?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by edfitzvb, Jan 17, 2011.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I was out at Stonewall Memorial Gardens in Manasas, Virginia to play at a funeral. As the funeral procession pulled up, we all snapped to attention in our places. When the wife of the deceased stepped out of the limo and saw us standing there in our blues, she started screaming. I'm talking top of the lungs wailing. That was tough.

I've seen a lot of things at funerals. I've even seen fistfights break out and I saw an older woman get her shots in whacking away with the umbrella she was holding - it had rained earlier in the day and she had it rolled up.

All through it I had to always keep in mind that while I might have done dozens of funerals it wasn't that way for the people attending the memorial service. I actually played 5 funerals in one day once at a cemetery in DC called National Harmony Cemetery in Landover, MD. Playing a double or even a triple wasn't uncommon - quadruples were fairly rare though. We were scheduled to do 4 funerals that day, but someone who saw us, asked if we'd be so kind as to provide honors for another one. The standard answer when that situation arose was "yes" - the firing party always had extra rounds and as long as it didn't conflict with any of the other services.

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Every year for the past eight years I have 'SOUNDED' Taps at a large local cemetary on the Saturday before Memorial Day. This is the day that the Girl Scouts place the flags at the graves of each of the deceased veterans. This gives me the oportunity to give a short tutorial on the history and proprities of witnessing the 'SOUNDING' of Taps as the flag travels down and back up the flag pole. Last year I was able to have four residents from the Michigan Home For Veterans with me to demonstrate the proprities and to handle the raising and lowering of the flag. It definately got to me, emotionally.

OLDLOU>>

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I apologize. I have never been in the service. I posted in ignorance and stand corrected. Substitute sounded for played in my OP. I will try to use the correct terminology from here on out.

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.

I never sounded taps, I just played it.

5. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Unless I'm mistaken, it is acceptable to say SOUNDED taps. It might be an older, or more military way to say it, but I've heard it before.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Yeah, me too. I know that there are buglers with more performances of Taps under their belt than me, but I've done it more than a few times, and as a former member of the 3rd US Infantry's Old Guard, I would like to think that I've done it correctly. When it comes to the ins and outs of doing funerals and military ceremonies, The Old Guard is pretty much the authority I would tend to think, and we never referred to it other than "playing" Taps. Then again, we had some other colorful slang for how we referred to funerals and that type of thing too - I guess that comes with the territory when you do it professionally all the time.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  7. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    OldLou was very adamant about the distinction between playing and sounding. It feels good to know that there are still elders out there to correct my errors in my dotage.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    OldLou needs to get his nose out of their air - it doesn't matter how you refer to it as long as you do it correctly and play it with some real meaning.

It's the kind of thing that irritates me - there are always armchair experts who want to jump in and try to correct folks and show off how much they think they know, meanwhile there are guys who really do know the score who don't seem to be bothered by such trival details, which is probably due to the fact that those are the folks who fully understnd where the rubber hits the road.

9. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    I think he's right though, military bugle calles are "sounded". think in cermonies when the MC says "sound: present arms... sound: order arms" etc. It's the traditional/official word for it, though IMO it's not worth correcting someone over.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Look - been there, done that, got the T-shirt many times over. Yes, a person can say they "sounded" Taps, or Retreat, or To the Colors, or Officers Call, or Enlisted Call, or Reveille, or Mess Call, etc. At the end of the day, I just played them.

When OldLou "coins" us with his Old Guard coin, he then has the right to correct the uneducated masses all he wants, but to pick gnat turds out of pepper on something like that is borderline offensive.