Most requested/popular tunes for worship & praise church services

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tpopbop, Jul 3, 2014.

1. tpopbop

tpopbop New Friend

May 1, 2012
    Hello friends.

I'd like some input from anyone who can give me some direction for what tunes are most requested for performance at contemporary church services. I'm really looking more for contemporary praise/worship/sacred music for solo trumpet rather than the traditional liturgical repertoire.

I'm also looking for suggestions on quality backing tracks for situations where there's not a backing band, ensemble or keyboardist. I know some fine quality tracks come with most play-along sacred/worship music type books for trumpet.

Thanks.

Peter McNeill likes this.
  2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    What do you mean by contemporary worship? This is a recording from a Sunday where I was playing drums - in my world, contemporary worship is a couple of guitars, bass, drums, vocals, sometimes a violin or viola, keys, piano, and it's usually all rock oriented. I've done almost no trumpet at all in my efforts in contemporary worship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUlKFlXgvAc

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Peter McNeill likes this.
  4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    My church gets its music books from this company:

As One Voice Vol 1

I play transposed versions of the songs in this book and in the "Volume 2" as well. We don't get requests very often (if at all), but we do find ourselves frequently playing hymns by John Foley, Carey Landry and Dan Schutte, to name three composers who spring to mind.

--bumblebee

5. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    This is the resource I use for backing tapes. But I have my biggest responses when I put a guitar, bass and drums on a hymn or gospel song and give it a jazzy/bluesy spin.
    Search Christwill Music Accompaniment Tracks

6. tpopbop

tpopbop New Friend

May 1, 2012
    Yeah, I've seen that vid before. This was the first type of contemporary solo trumpet performer that came to mind when I said *contemporary*. But I'm not a fan of his style or his tunes.

Does anyone ever get a request to play any of Driscoll's stuff in a service or other event?

7. tpopbop

tpopbop New Friend

May 1, 2012
    Thanks for the link. I'm checking out some of that material right now.

8. tpopbop

tpopbop New Friend

May 1, 2012
    Just to add a little more to my request...

I just sold a horn to a guy who played bass in his church praise band. It got me to thinking that playing in church groups may be the best performance outlet for many players who aren't ready, willing or able to develop the chops play in other ensembles and settings. So, I though it would be good to be able to suggest some material for young players to work on that they could perform in praise/worship groups and the like.

I've done it before, mostly arranging a horn section on top of a more contemporary christian song. It worked well. But that's not a typical situation these days-- or is it?

So, any ideas on tunes you've been asked to perform, or offered to perform in a religious service, or as part of a church related activity (ie youth rally, revival, special event, etc) is really helpful.

9. tpopbop

tpopbop New Friend

May 1, 2012
    Great! Confirmation on this source for tracks.

I remember years ago getting a request by a very young music ministry leader to arrange "My Jesus, I Love Thee" in a jazz style. Being a jazz player, I arranged it in a very beautiful jazz ballad style. I gave me exactly what he asked for.

I brought it to the service ready to perform with the other musicians. But he rejected it on the spot and it was never performed. :(

I forgot to ask what his definition of JAZZ was.

Lesson learned.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yes, I played a few of Phil's songs in an Assembly of God church back in the mid 90's. We mostly played out of Maranatha worship book, and a few other contemporary books of the time ---- I had to transpose all the music into the Bb of the trumpet

currently, I have been involved in the Messianic Genre of music the last 6 or so years --- something like this as the music is taking off -------- http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...o+youtube&fr2=sb-top&fr=mcafee&type=A210US662 ----

like my friend Deborah Kline-Iantorno in the above vid --- BUT SHE EXPECTS ME TO WRITE the trumpet parts in the music --- a skill of composing, I haven't quite developed yet --