Most requested/popular tunes for worship & praise church services

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tpopbop, Jul 3, 2014.

1. tpopbop

tpopbop New Friend

May 1, 2012
    Alrighty. I listened to some of the tracks on these volumes. Contemporary they are.

I think I'm looking for tunes where the trumpet is featured as part of the arrangement, or as the solo instrument in the tune.

Of course, any hymn can be arranged for trumpet with just about any type of accompaniment. Amazing Grace is comes to mind. But I'm looking for anything outside traditional hymns and such. Except for Phil Driscol stuff, is there anything else out there featuring trumpet? Maybe what I'm asking for really doesn't exist.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    tpopbop ---- like me, you might have to write some songs yourself --- and incorporate the trumpet into the music ------- look at it this way ---- if you choose to do it, you will expand your knowledge and your horizons ---- who knows, maybe YOU ARE THE NEXT GREAT ARRANGER for contemporary Christian trumpet music of this current era!!!!

3. tpopbop

tpopbop New Friend

May 1, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestion. Plenty of tracks here for vocalists. Add the +1 and it's probably up to a trumpet player to transpose melody from C-part or write something if wanting to add something to the melody or solo over the tunes changes.

4. tpopbop

tpopbop New Friend

May 1, 2012
    Yes, I think you're right. Is there room for another Phil Driscol? Who knows. It's hard to compete with the usual pop/rock ensemble of guitar(s), bass, drum, keys and vocals.

Also, in my experience, in contemporary praise bands you often work with untrained musicians, garage band types, who's eyes would glaze over when shown sheet music and written score with trumpet or horns arranged in. Jam bands with strummers and drummers is the norm.

5. tpopbop

tpopbop New Friend

May 1, 2012

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I've been looking for some time, and really haven't found that much Christian music dedicated to the trumpet (which is possibly strange since the bible mentions trumpets a lot and so far as I know doesn't mention a pipe-organ).

There was a reference a while back on TM to a Christian trumpeter who has his own website: Trumpet Of The Lord Ministry 501(c)3 Playing trumpet solos and preaching in churches. The Trumpet of the Lord Ministry, Known, Trusted, Reliable. You might get some inspiration from that though I can't see any hymns listed on the site (maybe you can contact him).

--bumblebee

kingtrumpet likes this.
  7. tpopbop

tpopbop New Friend

May 1, 2012
    Good find.

First post on his site:

Hear the world’s loudest trumpet player Dr. Michael E. Schmidt July 4th 2014 in Etowah, Tennessee.

I guess he's equating volume to _______________ (fill in the blank)

What's most interesting is this 501c(3) status. I'll definitely contact him to see why he felt the need to do that.

bumblebee likes this.
  8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    After playing in a Contemporary Praise band for 8 years, I will say as a trumpeter, YOU have to make your own way. It's better than it used to be but as Trickg said, it's all about yhe guitars and singers. I could rant about what passes for "musician" and "musical" but I won't. I have hundreds of charts and most were arranged "in house". Praisecharts.com might be a place to look. I do have a lot of good charts were an occasional solo is given to the trumpet. In my band, Trumpets Rule! We didn't have guitar players for a couple of years! Why? Trumpets ruled! Hillsong sometimes teases with trumpet work here and there but again, its all about the singer / guitar. Ugh! If you can find contemporary solo stuff, let me know. In 8+ years I've seen precious little. It's a desert out there! :-(

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
  10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Flipping through my charts and found Integrity Hosanna as a publisher. Chris McDonald writes some really nice stuff too but it is very challenging for most church musicians. David Hamilton is in the same vein as McDonald. No trumpet player has been asked to play a solo in the 20+ years I've attended my church. Flute player has played twice and sax player has played half a dozen times. Personally, I think many singers and guitar players are intimidated by trumpets. Trumpets are wireless and require no amplification to be heard. Any decent player can drown out both and maybe that's the rub. I've played churches as a visitor w/o being miked and was easily heard over the rest of the praise band that was miked!