Most Underrated Trumpeter

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LaTrompeta, Jun 25, 2015.

1. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    I posted this on TH too, but I think I will probably get a good deal of different answers here, so I'm gonna post here too. I've been thinking about trumpet players who can play the snot out of anything, yet are not typically the ones in the spotlight. Could be classical or jazz, but I mostly know classical players.

I was listening to recordings of the Met Opera Brass, and I have to say that David Krauss probably falls under the category of severely underrated. I would love to know some of your suggestions so that I can expand my repertoire!

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Me!

I can even play the snot INTO anything!! :evil:

3. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    spoken like a true trumpeter!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that rating is stupid. Mr. Krauss has one of the most coveted jobs on the planet. He is devoting his energy to the job at hand and not trying to make a solo career work on the side. I have a lot of respect for players that love their craft so much and don't dilute it. There are thousands of top players in this category and not knowing who they are has more to do with the looker than the player.

Needing ratings shows a small frame of reference on the part of those that need drawers to put stuff in.

Just buy what you like to listen to. Enjoy the music, but NEVER assume that YOUR frame of reference is any good for anyone except you. My favorite players are more based on the type of music that I listen to rather than their ultimate skill or bling level. Herb Alpert is for me as important as Bud Herseth was - but for different reasons. Mr. Krauss is as important to me as Thomas Gansch -for different reasons. I would send a student of mine to the player that fit best, not the supposed best rated one.

5. limepickle

limepickle Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I think that we'd be better off restricting this to soloists who've flown under the radar. Being an early jazz fan, my favorite soloists are from the 20s-50s: Louis Armstrong, Bunny Berigan, Harry James, and Roy Eldridge.

But one guy that doesn't seem to be as well known despite being very unique and exceptionally talented is Charlie Shavers. Despite some amazing records, he just seems to have been lost in the crowd. Here's a great rendition of Stardust:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqrikHVH4AU

I think that guys like Bix Beiderbecke also get overlooked just because of the huge stylistic change brought on by Louis Armstrong. But despite the more old-fashioned style, the Tram and Bix records are some of my favorite pieces of music.

As far as legit music goes, I'd have a harder time pinpointing a guy that's underrated within the trumpet community. Guys that I hear mentioned most often are Maurice Andre, Bud Herseth, Rafael Mendez, Uan Rasey, Allen Vizzutti, Alison Balsom, Tine Thing, Sergei Nakariakov, and Wynton Marsalis. Who are some other great legit soloists that are up there or close to being there that don't get the recognition?

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Isn't that the point of the OP's question? Who's superb but not widely known? I appreciate threads like this because this is one way I get exposed to other players who are outside my frame of reference.

Anyway, me vote goes to Ish Kabibble.

7. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    I have truly never heard of him/her. Can you tell me more?

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
  9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Personally I believe that any sincere, dedicated high level professional musician is way underrated. They learn and polish their mastery of the highest art form ever devised by humans, sacrifice innumerable other satisfactions to the pursuit of that art from a very young age, endure merciless competition and constant scrutiny through auditions. Despite their talent and best efforts, their success can be largely dependent on being in the right place a the right time. The names of the very few at the top are known of a small portion of the general public, those of the rest of them never really make it out of long lists of credits that hardly anyone reads. I think they should all get a raise now!

10. Tomaso

Tomaso Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2014
    New York City
    Beyond any doubt: Kenny Dorham.