Most Underrated Trumpeter

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LaTrompeta, Jun 25, 2015.

1. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    In terms of early jazz era dance music, I think Earl Oliver, Hymie Farberman, and Louis Panico all have something to bring to the table. Oliver played with Harry Reser's groups (and Oliver was often the group's namesake on various labels, like on Edison discs), Farberman appears on tons of 1920s dance music records, probably something upbeat played with a mute, and Louis Panico (played with Isham Jones) published a book of novelty effects, written with the Conn 80A and various Conn mutes in mind (modern pixie mutes come close for the small doorknob mute used sometimes, etc.)

In a similar vein of novelty music/off the beaten path, a lot of European players are worth mention. Dusko Goykovich gets a decent amount of coverage (but he deserves more!), Ack van Rooyen is another favorite of mine, and Etienne Cap could probably rank as one of the best high-note artists I've heard. The Alexander Maliszewski band from Poland has some fantastic work, but I don't know who their lead trumpet player(s?) was (were?) back in the 1970s and 1980s. The group is referred to as Alex Band, but it has no connection to the modern artist of the same name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbg1fWtMlmo - Etienne Cap & Orchestra - "Future Train"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqYt2Tp1R6Y - Alexander Maliszewski & Band - "Zderzenie Mysli"

Those barely scratch the surface of these artists' output...

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Interesting nomination, because I first heard of KD when I was playing in a band with a guy from NYC who played in a rehearsal band run by KD. My friend said, somewhat frustratedly, that KD was "selling reeds in some music store in New York."

3. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    KD is like the Miles Davis that you've never heard of.

4. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    I remember him from Blue Bossa and a 1960s Couesnon ad.

5. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Kinny Dorham (it IS Kinny not Kenny...his real name is Mckinley Dorham)
    Tony Fruscella
    Stu Williamson
    Herb Robertson

bigtiny

6. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Isu Kabbible played a Holton Revelation model trumpet

7. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    One doesn't hear the name Ruby Braff very often. I don't think he'd qualify for underrated, though; he was pretty much in demand in his day.

8. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    Wow, so many names I've never heard before! Also, I think Phil Driscoll is a pretty good trumpeter, but doesn't usually get much press because he's affiliated with Christianity.

9. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Yeah. I might put Bobby Hackett in that same category.

10. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Oh really? You might want to take a look at his name on a few album covers.