Most Underrated Trumpeter

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LaTrompeta, Jun 25, 2015.

1. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    Yeah...I thought that was his name.

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I think we should not forget a trumpet player whose name many people - even trumpet players - don't know, yet he was one of the most influential trumpet players in history:
    Anton Weidinger, the guy who made a fully harmonic trumpet viable and who gained popularity for it.
    He deserves our praise more than any one since him because he was the first to break ground (and got badly harassed for it).

3. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Excellent point! I read about him years ago, but it's been forever since I've seen his name mentioned anywhere...

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    With the mention of Ish,IIRC, we had a relative or descendant of his posting on here for a while.....:oops:

5. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    From 'Masters of Bebop' by Ira Gitler"

"McKinley Dorham (he was first known in jazz as 'kinney', but he gave in eventually to the more common, mistaken spelling)
    was born in Texas, played horn around the Oakland area after his Army discharge in the early forties, and eventually migrated
    to New York."

bigtiny

6. Carroll W. Schroeder

Carroll W. Schroeder Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    Thanks to whom ever put Charley Shavers up here, I had not heard of him and looked him up on youtube, love his arrangement of the Man I love.

7. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Ken Smith on cornet. 4 times World Cornet Champion. When he met Louis Armstrong he called him "Mr Armstrong". Louis said "Don't call me mister. If I could play like you I would be a star".

8. davidcycle

davidcycle New Friend

Jul 18, 2013
    Often I hear a solo in an old MGM musical and wonder who it was. Like the guy who played such a memorable (if lush) solo in the long dance sequence in An American in Paris. Anyone know who he was?

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Harry Mortimer