Most Underrated Trumpeter

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LaTrompeta, Jun 25, 2015.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I believe it was Uan Rasey.

2. Gendreauj

Gendreauj Piano User

Aug 26, 2013
    Metro-Detroit
    Woody Shaw is my choice for under rated trumpet player.

3. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Richard Williams

4. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    From the old days, very inflential, never recorded:

Buddy Bolden
    Manuel Perez
    Freddie Keppard
    Buddy Petit
    Emmett Hardy
    And again, but I did some research now, the one that should have been a star like Harry James, outstanding sound and technic, crazy flexibility, turbulent ideas, from a Jack Teagarden record the unbelievable Don Goldie, screw on to 5.55 and shiver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDs88unggjw

5. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    Snooky Young

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The question comes up if the players mentioned are really so much under the radar. Mr Krauss from the Met was mentioned. That is certainly a very "well" recorded orchestra, thus he is not so obscure. The question here is whether the member knows who is playing what?

I still do not think that this is a "rating". All are excellent players and it seems more like: how well "read" is the TrumpetMaster member rather than how well known is the player. I too like the idea of others mentioning players that they have enjoyed - enjoyment being a rating enough.

7. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    To me, someone who is "under-rated" is a player who is consistently not mentioned when there are discussions about "the best" in that genre, yet is just as good as those being touted as "the best".

Sometimes that person is "suddenly" noticed by the powers that be and now he's the best thing since sliced bread. A new "best" that's "discovered" by those powers.

With that in mind, I think ANY top pro in his field who isn't in "the limelight" is under-rated.

8. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Want under-rated? Look at the great second players to the famous principals. Rudy Nashan and Vince Chicowicz in Chicago. Nat Prager in NY. Seymour Rosenfeld (sp) in Philadelphia and other greats in major orchestras.
    Rich T.

9. davidcycle

davidcycle New Friend

Jul 18, 2013
    Thanks!

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The first players are the biggest fan club for the second players. The second makes or breaks the first. A little too loud, a little ahead, a little sharp and the lead is TOAST! I would say that having Bud Herseth or Gil Johnson as your #1 fan makes you RATED not under-rated!