Most Underrated Trumpeter

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LaTrompeta, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    I've done that too, it wasn't a good moment ROFL

2. davidcycle

davidcycle New Friend

Jul 18, 2013
    Yes, a rating of trumpet players from the so-called best down, is so subjective as to be controversial before it is properly stated. Certainly you can rate the most famous trumpet players, but it still begs the question of what makes 'the best' and leaves out a very large number of players who hit the notes rather than the limelight. So what is your criteria? Perhaps it is primarily the ability not only to be highly competent, but to be able to communicate something of the individual character of the musician beyond the notes. Perhaps someone instantly recognizable like Beiderbecke, Armstrong or James or Davis. But I think the best criteria is, when you hear a trumpeter play, is to cause you to ache a bit and think...'I wish I could play like that'. So the list should be, not the 'best', but rated as to whom you most respectfully wish to imitate. Hmmmmm...

3. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    Oh man, that would be a lllloooooooonnnngggg list.

4. davidcycle

davidcycle New Friend

Jul 18, 2013
    Well, there may be some in front of you Culbe, but perhaps a longer list behind who are impressed and go quiet every time you blow. Lets be gentle on ourselves...!

5. Carroll W. Schroeder

Carroll W. Schroeder Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    Weather or not you think these trumpet players should be classed as underrated or what ever I'm glad the thread was started because it introduced me to players I haven't even heard of before, and one such player was Charley Shavers, what a great musician he was. I find myself looking up everything I can find on him and his music, so special thanks to the guy who started this thread, you made my day!

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    This is not a "best" list. It is a "most underrated" list. If you would like to start a thread on whom you most respectfully wish to imitate, that might be interesting.

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I don't think Bernard Adelstein has had his due respect from the trumpet community.

8. cb5270

cb5270 Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2013
    This doesn't quite fit the responses I'm reading, but I just listened to World Orchestra for Peace playing Mahler 5 at 2010 Proms on youtube. The principal was young Russian Timur Martynov. One of the best Mahler 5's I've heard. Clear and powerful on the solo, accurate and resonant on the quieter parts. The way I like to hear it played. I'm sure they heard him at the back of the hall. Check it out, you have to be impressed.

9. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Mark Inouye with the San Fran Symphony is an extremely good soloist. He may not have as much finesse as Allison Balsam, but the musicality and sound.... whoa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Y5412uz5k

He also has a great recording of Dramatic Essay by Clifton Williams some of the fattest, most resonant high notes I've ever heard.

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I just remembered - Charles Tolliver.