Most Underrated Trumpeter

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LaTrompeta, Jun 25, 2015.

1. cb5270

cb5270 Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2013
    Inouye can do it all. He plays a mean jazz solo too. His website opens with him bopping, not with classical.

2. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    While he is certainly not unknown, Manny Laureano does not get the credit he should for being a superb principal trumpet in a top tier orchestra for 25 years.
    One of his section mates, Charles Lazarus, can play absolutely anything, including great jazz and is an excellent composer as well.
    Rich T.

3. larry newman

larry newman Piano User

Dec 22, 2005
    North Tonawanda, NY, USA

...and more than a few studio musicians.

4. fuzzyhaze

fuzzyhaze Mezzo Piano User

Nov 22, 2009
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK
    Okay he's a cornetist and not a trumpet player but I nominate Rob Mazurek of Chigago Undererground Duo.

5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Probably not underrated at all but I don't think I read Chet Bakers name yet. Just can't get enough Chet lately. What a great sound and a great singer

6. Robbrand

Robbrand Piano User

Dec 29, 2014
    Cape Town, South Africa
  7. Mellophone Man

Mellophone Man Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    That relative would be me. Merwyn Bogue (aka Ish Kabibble) and my paternal grandmother Marie Bogue Ellis were brother and sister. The Olds French Model trumpet that I still play every day was passed from Merwyn to my father to me.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Ingrid Jensen - obviously under-rated -- cause most of you chaps have never heard of her. Oh well, she plays jazz --- and most of you never heard of that either --- ROFL ROFL ROFL ----

9. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    She used to have her own subforum here...does anyone remember those days?

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Interesting you mentioned Kenny. In Miles Davis' autobiography, he speaks of an evening when Kenny came in to hear Miles play on a gig in Detroit. He asked to sit in that first night and Miles said sure. Miles was ticked afterwords because in Miles own words, Kenny outplayed him in every way. The next night when Kenny came by, Miles said no to his request to play. So even Miles as egocentric as he was, admits to being out performed by Kenny.