Most Underrated Trumpeter

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LaTrompeta, Jun 25, 2015.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Of note, Kenny Dorham was a tenor player prior to switching over to trumpet. Why did he make the switch? He claimed that he was so overwhelmed by Joe Henderson's playing that he could not keep up so switched over to trumpet. Thank you Joe for being the inspiration to one of my two favorite trumpet players.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    When I took lessons with Claudio Roditi, he taught me through my transcription of other horn players. I chose to transcribe nearly all my solos from sax players so I could develop a different trumpet voice than traditional trumpet players. The ONLY trumpet player I transcribed was Kenny Dorham, and it was only after this that I discovered he was originally a sax player. So I was driven to appreciating his unique sound from the very start!

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Ref Ingrid Jensen, I think the jury might be out on that one. She's gotten a pretty decent amount of press and is constantly working.

Ref Kenny Dorham and underappreciatedness, (I know ;-)), I used to work with a Brooklynite, trumpet player in the mid-60s who had played in a rehearsal band Kenny ran, and said that Kenny was working so little that, "he's selling reeds in some music store". Sad.

4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Maybe not underrated, but worth a listen: Ziggy Elman and Jimmy Zito