Most Unusual Request

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Dec 1, 2013.

1. simoncroft

simoncroft New Friend

Nov 21, 2013
    SE England
    I played what was supposed to be just another lunch-time residency at a bar in London. What we didn't know was the owner had decided to tackle falling revenues during the day by hiring a stripper. Given that we were setting up our gear when he explained this, refusing to play was hardly an option. And hey - we were young, foolish and getting paid.

No words can describe the embarrassment of being a band on stage, facing an audience of men who are looking at the woman in front of you who is the real center of their attention. You don't want to make eye contact with them, you don't want to look at her... Meanwhile the sunlight is streaming through the windows and there is a lovely view across the Thames.

So, just as if we were on a crowded train, we all turned our eyes to the windows. And that's why we played the most awful, random stuff that day!

We still got paid, but we never went back. So maybe not 'unusual' but it was a very uncomfortable, and unexpected experience.

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    [​IMG]
    ...just a sugestion - wink, wink, nudge, nudge....

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I played a leper colony on Okinawa.

4. terrytuner

terrytuner Pianissimo User

Sep 23, 2010
    Tennessee
    I can't believe it. I had the same experience when in college. I had cut the drama teacher's speech class. She presented an ultimatum that I dress up in an Elizabethan costume and play fanfares when I was pointed at if I wanted to pass the class. It was mortifying.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hope you flew in as loose lips sink ships.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That wouldn't par-chance be a certain someone that posts a lot of girly pics on the Random thread now would it??? Every time I open the Random thread with one of his posts in the physicians' lounge, I have to look behind me to make sure no one is watching!:noway:

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    That would be CONNVOLUTED , uhm I meant to say CONNTRIBUTION. ROFL ROFL ROFL.

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    If you were there I don't think you would make such a flippant pun.

The bandleader, dumb @ss, actually asked the listeners, as we were playing an Okinawan folk song arranged for this gig, to "clap your hands, just like this".

9. simoncroft

simoncroft New Friend

Nov 21, 2013
    SE England
    I know prior association comes into it, but The Stripper is a remarkably evocative piece of music. It almost demands that you play it in the slurry style of a man who has had several beers too many and is now enjoying a form of entertainment he definitely won't be telling his wife about when he finally makes it home!;-)

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    We wouldn't play it at the vicar's tea party would we, Simon? No I don't think that would do at all ;-)