Most Unusual Request

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Dec 1, 2013.

1. simoncroft

simoncroft New Friend

Nov 21, 2013
    SE England
    No Sir, we wouldn't! But I have just remembered one gig where it literally made no difference what we played. It was a particularly rough pub in Croydon (which means it could be just about any pub in Croydon...) but it had a decent sized hall out the back. The deal was, we didn't get paid but we could keep whatever we took on the door. As the place had a capacity of maybe 250, we thought we were in with a fair chance, and duly appointed the bass player's girlfriend as ticket seller.

When the house lights went down, anything beyond the edge of the stage was pitch black. So it was only at the end of the first set that we discovered we were playing to literally no-one. (Well, apart from the bass player's girlfriend.) It had occured to us that the audience was very quiet, but as acts they didn't like normally had abuse hurled at them, this was something of a relief.

Seeing that we had no audience at all, our leader emitted the immortal phrase: "Well, let's treat it as a free rehearsal, shall we?"

The landlord said something similar at the end of the night, as he surveyed his almost empty pub, except with the added suggestion we didn't return anytime soon. Fortunately, for us that was an 'unusual request', lest anyone think I've drifted hopelessly off-topic.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Our brass band is playing a "public rehearsal" of our Christmas concert at a local brewery/pub this week for the door. We've done it once before, and had a pretty good turnout.

To stay on-topic, I'm frequently paid good money to dress up in odd costumes and play 150 year old instruments...

I'm the salty dog second from the left in back.
    [​IMG]

3. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Cool! Do they pay you in women or in boring, old money?

Interesting instrument on the far right. Looks like a throw back to something...

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Likely 'cause he won't remember.

5. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    We were paid in grog and prize money from the last captured ship...

Other than the Eb and Bb cornets on the left, the other three instruments are over-the-shoulder saxhorns - Eb bass, Bb baritone, and Eb alto. The drummers in front posed without their rope-tension drums.

6. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Looks like a publicity shot from 'Das Boot'.

That's what I meant by 'throw back'. I guess one's puns can get a little too 'out there'...

7. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    You know, when I read your post, I thought that it might be a little punny, but I answered it seriously just in case...;-)

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Dale's Deutschen U-Boot-Unterwasser Foredeck Band

9. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Nein, das ist nicht recht. :D That's actually the gun turret on a replica of the USS Monitor that's behind us. We had a gig at the Civil War Naval Museum in Columbus GA the day before we performed at the ITG (also in Columbus that year). We're normally an infantry band...here we are at the ITG the next day:

[​IMG]

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    ... on the foredeck of aforesaid U Boat with the fin cleverly concealed behind camouflage curtains ....