Motivation to play more?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Adrianbyrne, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Adrianbyrne

Adrianbyrne Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2010
    Oakville, Ontario
    What is the best motivation to play more?

2. LH123

LH123 Piano User

May 14, 2010
    Listening to great artists, and playing more. I find that the more I play, the more motivated I am to play more.

3. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I can get inspired by listening to great players, but listening to technical pyrotechnics that I'll likely never be able to duplicate doesn't necessarily motivate me to play.

What motivates me to play is playing with others -- ideally, others who are as good or better than me.

4. LH123

LH123 Piano User

May 14, 2010
    +1

5. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Having a hymn stuck in my head that I want to play in church is what motivates me to learn it by heart and do it my way.

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I record practice sessions and rehearsals with a Yamaha W24 digital recorder, then later listen to it. My desire to not suck keeps me practicing.
    It is also good to be working on a piece or an etude and then go back and listen to how I played it a month ago to gauge improvement. When you can see progress it is a motivator too!

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The Clarke, Arban, St.Jacome, Schlossberg books that I regularly practice from in addition to the expectations of everyone who pays to listen to me.

I need motivation for everything else in life. The trumpet happens all by itself!

8. catello

catello Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    If one requires motivation to "play" an instrument, then they're probably pursuing the wrong passion. Playing is the fun part - that's why it's called "play" :-) . I will assume you are asking about motivation to practice, which is the "work" part.

If that is the case, then find more ways to regularly play. Join a band. Join several bands. Arrange with friends to meet weekly to play duets. The more you are planning to play, the more motivated you will be to practice and improve your skills.

9. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I need to be motivated to practice. A new piece of music and an upcoming performance date works wonderfully. But motivated to play? Man all I need is a few minutes of time and a horn to be "motivated" to play. There simply aren't enough free hours in my day for me to play as much as I want to. It is most assuredly a passion, and as has previously been said, if you have to be motivated to play maybe you need to find your passion.