Motivation to play more?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Adrianbyrne, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Equiner

Equiner New Friend

Jul 15, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    Timing is everything! I just got home from work and I'm sitting down with a cold beverage surfing and planning the rest of my rare evening at home which includes some trumpet practice. Just this past summer I had an opportunity to hear the Austrian brass/percussion ensemble that Pete referenced as motivation. Hearing that band and Gansch was truly one of the best musical experiences I had ever had the pleasure of being witness to. Absolutely amazing playing and musicianship. I purchased a CD recording of the concert and it has been in my car's CD player ever since. Gotta go practice!

K

2. dan42guy

dan42guy New Friend

May 6, 2010
    Fort Worth, TX
    Clarke and Arban are great, but if your true motivation is anything but expressing yourself, I think you're doing it for the wrong reason. Music is all about taking what is inside of your heart and transferring it directly into someone else's heart via sound. It's a great outlet for emotions and a great way to express your inner self. I think that God has instilled within each of us the ability and desire to create music. If you're doing it to make first chair or to hit that next high note, then one day you will realize that it was a mile wide and an inch deep. Make your music MEAN something and you will never have to go looking for motivation.

3. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Well yeah, not with that attitude you won't be able to!

4. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Love of the horn is the motivation for practicing. And the love of making music.

5. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I spent three or four hours a day in a practice room with my trombone, when I was in college -- almost 30 years ago. And as a result, I could get around on the horn pretty well. And, ultimately, I got pretty burned out on playing trombone. I took up trumpet for my own enjoyment, as something I could fool around on with lower expectations. I never did regain my passion for the trombone, and basically gave it up about 20 years ago. I think it takes a special personality type to put in the arduous, solitary work required to play an instrument at the highest level, and I accept that I don't have it.

I've found my level, and I enjoy playing here. Sorry if this offends you.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  6. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    How dare you play for your own enjoyment!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The communication that occures within the ensemble, touching on each others feelings, emotions, and building to a collective understanding. How often is that achieved in any non-musical venture we experience in life? Connecting and communicating with others in the purest form IS all the motivation I need to continue and never look back.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    ... so many reasons as stated here .. fear of not sucking... can't say I haven't been motivated by that .... then there have been times where someone in the section was a real jerk and I wanted to show off and shut them up by serving up no doubt that I can play circles around them ... not really a nice reason but ...
    wanting to get better and feeling like if I miss a day I am losing all I have worked for ...
    that was then ... in the 4-5 hour a day days in college

now .. there is absolutely nothing that compares to the feeling of resonance with the horn ... and so now it's an addiction ... there is always a trumpet out in multiple rooms in my house ..

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The motivation to earn money or make others happy are just as legit. Just think about every mom on the planet - their goal in life is NOT self expression and their efforts are NOT for the wrong reason! That also applies to many jobs, friendships, etc.

The ability to recognize that there are MANY paths to success is very basic to motivating others. There is no rule that motivation must come from within or be from a higher spiritual good. There is no right or wrong reason - just results when whatever works.

I think this thread IS about alternatives not locking trumpet playing down. By the way, I get great joy moving the metronome up a couple notches for the Clarke and Arban books. Sometimes the mechanics of playing are as gratifying as an inspired solo elsewhere.

The right reason is one that works.

10. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Keep a minimum of two playing commitments per week.

Practicing usually doesn't push the mind/body enough. Having at least two rehearsals a week generates enthusiasm on a regular basis. Keeps the chops conditioned and feeling secure.

Another thing I do is cruise the local rehearsal bands looking for hot hot third trumpet players. I won't give away your name yet Myra. Whoops I mean "Suzanne".