Motivation.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RobertSlotte, Oct 24, 2008.

1. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    Trumpetfriends! I think all of us...or most of us anyway sometimes find us in a lack of motivationt/interest when it comes to practising (and every other thing in life fot that mather).

What helps you boost your motivation when such days strikes your playing?

Playing and practising something COLPLETELY different that I usualy do might help me. And ofcours listening to great artists...but that I do almost everyday anyway :thumbsup:

2. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    I use to be motivated when I play a new trumpet, when I play an old one, when I see a nice girl, when I feel blue, when I feel happy, when...

Left your trumpet on the table, always in playing condition (oiled valves, etc). If you have nothing to do, don't switch on the TV. JUST PLAY !!!
    I sometimes play when the TV is on...
    WELL I PLAY TRUMPET WHEN DRIVING OR SLEEPING (fingers only).

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Think of all the bills you need to pay. find new music to play.that which makes you happy. you have to find the fun in playing which can be at many levels. I have fun when I'm making music at a very high level esp. with other musicians. It makes all the woodsheding fill worth it!

Bob G

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Robert, when my motivation is down, I play more tunes and reward myself AFTER the practice session with cheese and wine, a snifter with good cognac or just a hot tub.

5. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    well i get bored when i need to practice scales. But i bet if i could play like you guys i would play so many songs all day!

6. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    I go out and hear a great trumpet player. That usually kicks my butt!

Tony

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Mason, boring maybe, but without scales you will always be saying "I could," instead of "Wait til you hear this!"
    They aren't real music, but they're not easy, so they shouldn't be boring. Challenging, yes. You're up to it, I'm sure.

8. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    yer i can do scales pretty easy

9. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

"What helps you boost your motivation.." -Robert Slotte

I'm not a Player yet, but in life generally. -It's being goal-oriented, that does the trick for me. Which i'd argue isn't ego-driven at all, but artistic-inspiration in disguise. :)

Cheers

-

10. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    some nice ideas here. I particulary like the cheese and wine rewarding..yummm :)